• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Imma side with the hammer people.

Took wework how long and how many engineers to get these people back into the office they pay for? A 4-person office in DC says it starts at $2100 a month.

I still can't believe that they couldn't shim the gap open wide enough, but somehow a hammer and a glass guy feels like a better solution than drilling a hole through the ceiling from the floor above like a cartoon.

Or drill the wall behind the mini fridge?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@Piobaire will enjoy this one: https://www.businessinsider.com/flight-attendant-saved-enough-money-to-retire-early-fire-2019-9

Flight attendant finds out about FIRE in 2016, has saved up 600k (25X her recent expenses) and is gonna work part time until 2022 when she can retire with full benefits.

Of course like any good FIRE evangelist, she runs her own blog and speaks at conferences. Because who better to take advice from than someone who just found out about the movement...

But sure, you'll be able to live out your days on 24k a year...that will work out great when you stop working double shifts and side gigs. Oh, and it isn't 600k in cash saved up either...that includes 136k in value of her condo and caboose...

And how's that travel budget going to work out when you're no longer a major airline employee?

edit: also, I could be wrong, but isn't the 4% rule really a "spend down" estimate? Something like the safe withdrawl rate to make it last 30 years that allows for you to dip into principle in the end as inflation has increased your withdrawals? You can't just stick with the same math and retire at 44.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Yeah, she's doomed to FIRE-failure.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think saving money is like an addiction to some of these people. A mental problem.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I worked in and around finance my whole career and can tell you that almost nobody who already has a lot of money ever thinks they have enough money.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I worked in and around finance my whole career and can tell you that almost nobody who already has a lot of money ever thinks they have enough money.
I was at a seminar once where Stephen Moskowitz was giving a talk and he said once he shared with clients the tax planning and savings/benefits, the reaction is always asking for more!

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My admittedly frugal grandmother once called me a cheap-ass. I laughed because she would have fainted if she knew what some things cost.

So my inlaws friend is trying to talk them into putting money into a PE firm. Can you even trust a PE firm if they don't have a website?

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, don’t let them do that. Very bad plan.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of which.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Galloway puts out some entertaining pieces then beats the concepts to death until the next month.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, it’s a living! ?

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Executives across the US are shedding stock in their own companies at the fastest pace in two decades, amid concerns that the long bull market in equities is reaching its final stages."

As the FT reports, corporate insiders - typically CEOs, CFOs, and board members, but also venture capital and other early stage investors, sold a combined $19BN of stock in their companies through to mid-September. Annualized, this puts them on track to hit $26BN for the year, which would mark the most active year since 2000, when executives sold $37bn of stock amid the giddy highs of the dotcom bubble. That 2019 total would also set a post-crisis high, eclipsing the $25bn of stock sold in 2017."

Hmmmm.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads