• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
TWSS.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I kinda want an Apple Card. It's made out of TITANIUM, Jerry!

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was interested in getting one to replace my current non-Amex card for the idea that I would get 3% cash back. Well, you only get 3% cash back if you use "Apple Pay" and not the physical card. Wut? :confused: I may be be a millennial, but I ain't got no time for dat.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gold at six-year high. Fear is getting a nose in front of greed for the first time in a while.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
7953365C-D86C-4D39-BFC2-A093E849A4A1.png

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Messing around with one of my favorite pastimes, trying to figure out annual income during retirement. If we retire at 65, even with the penalty we'll both get for not waiting until 67, between her pension and our combined SS we should have a pretty nice base income. No mortgage, not have to divert a material stream of income into retirement savings, a nice Outback and Highlander...just sit back and live off the social safety net and sweetheart government pension.

The American Dream!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Downgrade from an Outback and Highlander? I'll keep working.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Our retirement is based on $100K income which was some arbitrary calculation at the time. With a paid off house and only mortgage taxes, it is pretty easy to live off of. This would give us a retirement age of something in the early 50s. Working longer is just sort of icing on the cake. Also our incomes have greatly increased so all of this is really out of date but for planning purposes works.

I was listening to a podcast this weekend which made a good point. The birth rate is declining and the population is aging. One party wants to spend more and another wants tax cuts, both of which point towards something of a higher national debt in the future. With the lower tax base, taxes will have to push higher to service the debt at some point. All that said, I think tax planning will be an even bigger business in the future.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Don't forget there's no chance SS and Medicare doesn't get means tested in the future.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It is kind of hard to imagine retiring on less than your current income. You get pretty darn comfortable making whatever it is you do and to backtrack seems impossible. I remind myself I lived on much less in the early days of my career and still more or less had the same lifestyle. If I retired at 65 making $1 million dollars, it would be hard to just be like whelp, now it's time to live on $200k without it hurting quite a lot.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is kind of hard to imagine retiring on less than your current income. You get pretty darn comfortable making whatever it is you do and to backtrack seems impossible. I remind myself I lived on much less in the early days of my career and still more or less had the same lifestyle. If I retired at 65 making $1 million dollars, it would be hard to just be like whelp, now it's time to live on $200k without it hurting quite a lot.

My argument here is that I will not have a mortgage, kid expenses, or be saving 20% of my gross income. It's not what you make, it's what you spend. My spend is something like maybe $50-$60K without watching out on what we spend.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Completely agree with what JB said but there are also other expenses that will go away. Clothing will drop, particularly the cleaning bill, things like the cost of to and fro work daily, etc. if you eat out a lot due to work schedule...these things add up.

On the flip side increased travel expenses as most folks like to travel in retirement. This however is discretionary and will lower as you age. Medical costs will go up as you age. Probably you'll socialize less as you age so those costs will drop...

It is actually a pretty complicated thing to forecast with extreme detail but I think for those that plan the overall picture is a far lower fixed cost basis.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads