• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, but that would only work if you actually have substantial assets in taxable accounts.

Meh, some people only have the funds to max 401(k)/IRA and they might want to consider bonds in their tax advantaged accounts but if it is at all possible everyone should also hold a 6 month emergency cash reserve in their taxable accounts which can be used as a proxy for bond exposure. If they don't have the funds available to build a cash reserve then yes, the advice would not work for them

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Being on the poor end of SF, we only hold funds in 401k/IRA and cash in savings for an E-Fund. I surprised I am even allowed to post here.

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Being on the poor end of SF, we only hold funds in 401k/IRA and cash in savings for an E-Fund. I surprised I am even allowed to post here.

Depending on your age you might be a prime candidate to reduce your bond exposure in tax sheltered accounts and rely on your (taxable) emergency funds as a proxy for bond exposure.

In our low-rate environment I don't find the yield premiums of longer duration offerings (or funds) to be adequately compensate me for the duration risk. As such, I avoid high-yield/junk as well as long term/medium term funds

I would not counsel such an approach with the market where it is but in theory you might be right for such an approach (which I would implement with rebalancing and new investments -- I would not recommend liquidating your bonds and investing in equities at these levels)

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think I could spend all day trolling through /r/personalfinance and responding to posts with "You know that's not true, right?"

That place has really gone to ****.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I could spend all day trolling through /r/personalfinance and responding to posts with "You know that's not true, right?"

That place has really gone to ****.

Reddit is not super useful for investing. PersonalFinance is full of people barely surviving, WallStBets is basically pump and dump gambling, and FIRE (Financial Independence, Retire Early) is likely full of dull people. Finding good individuals on Twitter, following blogs, or Stocktwits is far more useful.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Thanks you for your honesty

Don't worry, I'm in the same category.
Reddit is not super useful for investing. PersonalFinance is full of people barely surviving, WallStBets is basically pump and dump gambling, and FIRE (Financial Independence, Retire Early) is likely full of dull people. Finding good individuals on Twitter, following blogs, or Stocktwits is far more useful.

Don't forget /r/frugal

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I used to frequent the value and BRK boards on Fool.com in the early 2000s, mostly homerism on BRK boards but there were some good peeps on the value boards

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
R/pf used to be pretty good back before they made it a default front page subreddit (and before Reddit blew up so much with "non-nerds").

Back in the day, a more valid criticism might be that it was full of 27 year old software developers. Full of advice on structuring you savings plan, buying cars/property, dealing with windfalls (inheritance, bonus, whatever)... But completely out of touch and lacking whenever someone came in making 36k needing help paying off medical debts, spouse lost job and looking for advice on child expenses, or trying to stretch a fixed income.

Now it is half frugal financial Independence types who can't keep it contained to their own sub, and half people who came to deal with their own problem and thought "while I'm here, let me give advice to these fellow posters despite a complete lack of qualifications evidenced by my own problems".

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For a third time, I am back on the $SNAP rollercoaster. I bought in near today's lows. It has worked out for me each of the last two times. Ideally I will be out before earnings release in early Feb, with a stop loss at $12 should it crater from here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads