• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

stimulacra

Reaction score
Locked in 18% return for 2017 while moving from 20% to 30% bonds. Feeling ok for whatever 2018 has in store for me.

Considering a 2-3% exposure to crypto just purely for diversification (would replace or augment commodities).

Also looking at I Bonds to free up some tax deferred space but it sounds like a lot of rigmarole for 2-3% interest.

People here (and elsewhere) don't mention individual stock tickers much anymore which I find interesting.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everyone is swept up in cryptocurrency now. Individual stocks are so 2017.

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not aware of a separate thread. Everyone's been using this thread for their crypto talk. Although with idfnl gone, it may die down a little.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Sad you bros talking about your 20% gains when you could be making 4x in crypto. I thought this was about investing. Crypto is the future. Get on the right side of history.

bings

Reaction score
just going to put this out there again that you gents should not be sleeping on weed stocks.

last week was illogical how good it was... yesterday and today have been even better. it certainly does need to correct, no question about that... but it's almost all house money now anyways.

admittedly, you cannot use typical fundamentals that you would apply to long-term going concerns. however, for mature investors these stocks are easier to evaluate and hold than digital currencies. better liquidity too.

brokencycle

Reaction score
just going to put this out there again that you gents should not be sleeping on weed stocks.

last week was illogical how good it was... yesterday and today have been even better. it certainly does need to correct, no question about that... but it's almost all house money now anyways.

admittedly, you cannot use typical fundamentals that you would apply to long-term going concerns. however, for mature investors these stocks are easier to evaluate and hold than digital currencies. better liquidity too.

So your position is that these funds have had illogical gains and are due for a correction, so we should rush into them?

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So your position is that these funds have had illogical gains and are due for a correction, so we should rush into them?
Is that any different than the crypto currency run up?

brokencycle

Reaction score
Is that any different than the crypto currency run up?

I think the people pushing hardest on crypto haven't admitted that the gains have been illogical and are due for a correction. There were some generic "well, sure it could drop, but it is going to keep going up in the long term."

bings

Reaction score
i said dont sleep on them... like dont ignore them. there are a lot of guys who sold early looking to get back in on a correction. i sold a number of positions back in Oct before the latest run up and all of my friends who held obviously performed much better.

in general, while the sector is flying, many holdings are not surging to the same degree. i have held mostly onto mid-cap players who are now surging to catch up to the leader's valuations. relatively speaking there is still a lot of value to be had in many mid-cap stocks.

for crypto and weed stocks, just as happened in the dot com bubble... losers will disappear but many winners will emerge and produce incredible gains. with weed stocks (as opposed to crypto) there is a lot of consolidation on the horizon and these companies are all going at strong premiums when they get swallowed up.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Made my annual IRA contribution and submitted the backdoor roth conversion paperwork. As soon as that goes through, I'll have some fresh cash to deploy.

Pretty much the only short-term trade I ever made was a weed stock back in the day...good thing I did make it short term, as it has never been that high again.
upload_2018-1-3_10-56-54.png

Made a whole $105 after fees!

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@otc If I put in money into an IRA now, then, immediately exercise a Roth conversion (money is just in cash), the 1099-R will essentially be "zero"?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads