• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Congrats to idfnl and others who have been riding this spike.
I haven't looked at this stuff nearly as closely as some of you, so I'm curious --
it doesn't seem like the other (relatively) big name cryptocurrencies are shooting up the way bitcoin is. Is that because (1) lots of people don't even know that "bitcoin" is a one particularly cryptocurrency rather than the only one, and it gets used as a generic term like "Frisbee", so people who want to jump in on this not new thing they're hearing about just pile into bitcoin without even realizing there are alternatives; (2) bitcoin's name recognition means it will get more coverage from futures markets, merchants, whatever, so that the name recognition translates into a real market advantage; (3) something else has recently happened to give bitcoin a real or perceived leg up on others; (4) whatever/profit?

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I haven't looked at this stuff nearly as closely as some of you, so I'm curious --
it doesn't seem like the other (relatively) big name cryptocurrencies are shooting up the way bitcoin is. Is that because (1) lots of people don't even know that "bitcoin" is a one particularly cryptocurrency rather than the only one, and it gets used as a generic term like "Frisbee", so people who want to jump in on this not new thing they're hearing about just pile into bitcoin without even realizing there are alternatives; (2) bitcoin's name recognition means it will get more coverage from futures markets, merchants, whatever, so that the name recognition translates into a real market advantage; (3) something else has recently happened to give bitcoin a real or perceived leg up on others; (4) whatever/profit?

Some 'altcurrencies' are- namely Etherum and Litecoin (both posting 1000%+ increases this year)
1/2 -Yes. Mostly first mover advantage/name recognition. The recent uptick has come seemingly at the expense of the smaller coins, as people who own the smaller coins are fleeing to Bitcoin, 'riding the wave'.
3- Main advantage of Bitcoin at this point is that it has more real world uses/applications (again, not because it's 'best' but because it is the largest/first)

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Some 'altcurrencies' are- namely Etherum and Litecoin (both posting 1000%+ increases this year)
1/2 -Yes. Mostly first mover advantage/name recognition. The recent uptick has come seemingly at the expense of the smaller coins, as people who own the smaller coins are fleeing to Bitcoin, 'riding the wave'.
3- Main advantage of Bitcoin at this point is that it has more real world uses/applications (again, not because it's 'best' but because it is the largest/first)
Thanks. And for clarity I mainly meant over the last week or so.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Then yes, in a general sense you're correct.

The news media isn't as well versed in all the altcurrencies so they only report on bitcoin, and it has the astronmical price tag (you won't see headlines when smaller currencies jump from $1-->$5 in one week even though its a massive % increase).

Price has also shot up because because CME/CF are going to open BTC futures exchanges next week (as well as news of Square beginning to accept payment in BTC and rumors of Amazon accepting BTC). So I suppose the answer to your question is that intrinsically BTC isn't better than other alts- Monero has more privacy, Litecoin processes transactions cheaper and faster, etc. It's mostly first mover advantage + name recognition + real world applications.

brokencycle

Reaction score

I'm no expert, but it feels like it is riding a momentum wave with all the press. Ethereum saw something similarly as it got press for reals growth - it just fuled the fire.

NGOStudio

Reaction score
Then yes, in a general sense you're correct.

The news media isn't as well versed in all the altcurrencies so they only report on bitcoin, and it has the astronmical price tag (you won't see headlines when smaller currencies jump from $1-->$5 in one week even though its a massive % increase).

Price has also shot up because because CME/CF are going to open BTC futures exchanges next week (as well as news of Square beginning to accept payment in BTC and rumors of Amazon accepting BTC). So I suppose the answer to your question is that intrinsically BTC isn't better than other alts- Monero has more privacy, Litecoin processes transactions cheaper and faster, etc. It's mostly first mover advantage + name recognition + real world applications.

This may sound narrow-minded but btc market looks too risky atm for newbies. I used to read some of articles written by Mr. Altucher on SA and my observation warns me to stay away from him. I don't know where the Amazon rumor began but he used it to push the sales of his online junks pretty hard. I saw how other forms of people monies picked up and killed off by authorities so I will keep my skepticism for now. Still, I hope that day will come when people can rid of most human corruption. This is necessary for a sustainable global economy. My bet is on AI countering human.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This may sound narrow-minded but btc market looks too risky atm for newbies. I used to read some of articles written by Mr. Altucher on SA and my observation warns me to stay away from him. I don't know where the Amazon rumor began but he used it to push the sales of his online junks pretty hard. I saw how other forms of people monies picked up and killed off by authorities so I will keep my skepticism for now. Still, I hope that day will come when people can rid of most human corruption. This is necessary for a sustainable global economy. My bet is on AI countering human.

Agree, altucher isn’t reliable, and is a self anointed expert.

I wouldn’t jump in on Btc right now either, I’m long term bullish, but I’d pass it wait for a dip at the moment

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
BTC Futures opened today on CBOE(CME is next week) and.... the website crashed within 15 minutes.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thanks.

Bitcoin is conflated with the space as a whole because of the poor reporting on the subject, yet another example that journalism is in shambles across the spectrum.

Bitcoin has brand recognition, and it's main purpose at this point is as a value store. Not much commerce is being done with it, and it's utility is limited beyond this. The run in price is mainly because of scarcity, and some substantial institutional money would have to be flowing in the justify such an increase from 10k to almost 20k within days. This is quite positive for establishing price levels of support.

While other coins didn't match the rise, they are substantially up versus their price before the recent spike. My take is that everyone that is buying in believes they must have some Bitcoin, and then they slowly expand from there. And yes, a lot of people don't even realize there are other coins in existence.

1 and 2 are more or less accurate. 3 is not a technology advantage, it's more about the futures trading that is driving it.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My late entry into LTC at $55 (average) is finally panning out. (This is the forum for patting yourself on the back about being a genius in hindsight, correct? Cool.)

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My late entry into LTC at $55 (average) is finally panning out. (This is the forum for patting yourself on the back about being a genius in hindsight, correct? Cool.)

Yes. You're in the right place. I got my LTC at $30.80, waiting it out was worth it now that it's at 185.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
FWIW, I've bought Ltc at $10,$30,$70, and recently at $100-I think it's still undervalued vs Btc as its much more easily tradeable, the fees are lower, atomic swaps/lightning network are coming.

(then again, it could just be wishful thinking and I lose all of my crypto investment)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads