• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
they were the best provider though(VZ)..

The thing about VZ too is that while they didn't have an "it" phone for a while they were busy rolling out cable and FIOS service. 4G service for S is good though, but not enough.

mintyfresh

Reaction score
If you are interested in VZ, take a look at Vodaphone. They own 40% or so of the profitable part of VZ - VZ Wireless. You also get a nice dividend which should increase should VZ decide to finally pay out to Vodaphone.

In Vodaphone you are also exposed to their growth in the non-US markets. Huge. Europe, Africa, Asia. The US market, while not saturated, will not be growing as fast as the non-US market.

A lower PE, higher EPS, higher ROE than VZ...yet it still gets the iPhone and VZwireless premium.

Beware, though, of VOD's accumulated deficit...that is large and may affect the dividend eventually.

/disclosure - i hold VOD and VZ.

btw - if you are interested in Sprint - go find David Einhorn's reasoning for going long S.

btw p2 - this thread may be the last place you want to go rummaging for stock plays.

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mintyfresh
4 A lower PE, higher EPS, higher ROE than VZ...yet it still gets the iPhone and VZwireless premium. 4
showed me you know barely anything about securities research. P/E and EPS are reciprocals. Higher ROE, want to do a Dupont breakdown? whats the driver of the higher ROE? Ask more questions to understand what the company is doing.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
Here's my advice, don't buy Sprint stock.

I'm not asking for advice, I just want to talk about the positives and negatives of the company, I'll make my own decision. You make great points.

Originally Posted by ter1413
they were the best provider though(VZ)..

In the northeast at least.

Originally Posted by Slopho
The thing about VZ too is that while they didn't have an "it" phone for a while they were busy rolling out cable and FIOS service. 4G service for S is good though, but not enough.

That's a good point, but mind you their at two different ends of this, one is for cable TV the other is a better cell phone signal.

If you are interested in VZ, take a look at Vodaphone. They own 40% or so of the profitable part of VZ - VZ Wireless. You also get a nice dividend which should increase should VZ decide to finally pay out to Vodaphone.

In Vodaphone you are also exposed to their growth in the non-US markets. Huge. Europe, Africa, Asia. The US market, while not saturated, will not be growing as fast as the non-US market.

A lower PE, higher EPS, higher ROE than VZ...yet it still gets the iPhone and VZwireless premium.

Beware, though, of VOD's accumulated deficit...that is large and may affect the dividend eventually.

/disclosure - i hold VOD and VZ.

btw - if you are interested in Sprint - go find David Einhorn's reasoning for going long S.

btw p2 - this thread may be the last place you want to go rummaging for stock plays.

LOL, I agree with your btw p2, but I thought it would be fun to talk about stocks instead of Jim Cramer and Warren Buffett.

You know as an investor that the dividend is actually larger at VZ and probably more resistant to change in a negative way.

I checked into Einhorn, he has interesting reasoning, sounds pretty thought out and around what I've been thinking.

One of the reasons I like AT&T is because of their growth in China. I dont directly invest in china because I dont feel comfortable with them yet, however I do like American companies growing in China.

mintyfresh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ginlimetonic
showed me you know barely anything about securities research.
P/E and EPS are reciprocals.

Higher ROE, want to do a Dupont breakdown? whats the driver of the higher ROE?

Ask more questions to understand what the company is doing.

LOL - i just realized how ridiculous that sounds - the PE / EPS statement I made (late) last night.
I just find the low PE on VOD quite attractive for a company that owns the UK and German markets and is growing in so many countries. Now I just sound like a stock pumper...so I'll stop.

Nobody is going to discuss the 5 step approach to the dupont method here - if you are looking for a deep analysis on the security, this may not be the place. i was just throwing out the idea.
cheers.gif

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looks like Mortgage insurers are on the fritz again, interesting. I just checked into the year end preview for Radian Group a Philadelphia based mortgage insurer. Massive losses by comparison to year end 2009.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
LOL - i just realized how ridiculous that sounds - the PE / EPS statement I made (late) last night.
I just find the low PE on VOD quite attractive for a company that owns the UK and German markets and is growing in so many countries. Now I just sound like a stock pumper...so I'll stop.

Nobody is going to discuss the 5 step approach to the dupont method here - if you are looking for a deep analysis on the security, this may not be the place. i was just throwing out the idea.
cheers.gif

I'm willing to give it a chance, there are a lot of financial professionals on SF.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I may get in on Geron (GERN), they are one of only two companies with FDA approval dealing with stem cells. (That's the positive) The only problem is that they are working on spinal cord injuries which could take a long time to show improvment. Big Pharma will buy someone in the SC field out evetually. I'd like to get in under $5 and cell at about $16 after phase II

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Farrowtech

I think if you are buying a cell carrier/provider you should buy VOD over VZ. They own half the VZ cell business in the US and you get foregin exposure.

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
With all this talk w/ VZ and S, what's the driver for growth for these companies? Tablets? Everyone has a cell phone already, the smartphone/data growth has already happened.

I'll throw out airlines as the sector I'm buying into now with DAL as my top choice. CA munis are good too now.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bananananana
With all this talk w/ VZ and S, what's the driver for growth for these companies? Tablets? Everyone has a cell phone already, the smartphone/data growth has already happened.

I'll throw out airlines as the sector I'm buying into now with DAL as my top choice. CA munis are good too now.

Did I hear they debuted the XOOM at Davos?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bananananana

It's already happened....In america.

Why Airlines and why DAL?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd say there is still a lot of room for smartphone growth.

The iphone stormed them into the hands of certain demographics but there are still hordes of people who are not giving them an extra $20 a month of high-margin revenue for a data plan. Maybe it is priced in already, but eventually there will be some device/marketing that puts smartphones in the hands of more people (also possibly an expansion of high-speed service areas).

the_state

Reaction score
I'm long SVVS and ABVT, nice positions in both. Savvis will likely get acquired in the next few qtrs, bumping up the price a good 30-40% based on current EBIDTA and market valuation. Abovenet is dirt cheap by the numbers - great margins compared to competitors, near impossible barrier to entry.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads