• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

brokencycle

Reaction score
Forgot about a 401k transfer and the money sat in the settlement account for a few weeks. That said, doesn't the market usually go down when someone here makes a big buy?

Does $100 count as a big buy?

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol.

1686055139333.png

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the AR/VR thing will fail, but Apple will be fine
They've spent relatively little on this. They didn't rename their company after it. They've had individual product flops before.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think that's probably true, but I also think back to how stupid MANY people thought the ipad was back at launch...and now ipads are basically a fact of life for many classes of people (and there's limited competition--android tablets just don't compete like they do on the phone side of things).

Like the joke made in this video "half the capability of today's netbooks for twice the price"...and what happened to the netbooks? They died. Chromebooks are still around (and maybe the natural evolution of the netbook, except they tend to be "full size"), but the idea of miniature low-power laptops like the Asus Eee PCs got destroyed as ipads took over and phones grew/became more capable.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^

This.

“Spatial computing” will be just another common mode of data interaction in a few years, it doesn’t have to be the dominant one for the Vision line to be a viable product for Apple. The headsets will get cheaper and the battery life will get better and at some point they’ll be “good enough” for most people.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can see that, and it will become cheaper a lot quicker with the way semicon & display is progressing. I just don’t see a viable use case outside gaming for the masses, but perhaps their App Store will solve that problem.

With the iPad at least there where some use cases in which it was obviously better. Even the iPad 1 was better than everything in the market if you had to read & annotate a lot of stuff. Coupled with the ability to process basic email, it had appeal.

Beside some niche cases like remote engineering, getting diagnoses in remote places/from highly specialized docs and such, I don’t see anything outside gaming that would appeal to Joe Sixpack. Although arguably, it isn’t priced for him either.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Beside some niche cases like remote engineering, getting diagnoses in remote places/from highly specialized docs and such, I don’t see anything outside gaming that would appeal to Joe Sixpack. Although arguably, it isn’t priced for him either.

Wealthy people will buy them if they make for much better in-flight entertainment (and they show all the other frequent fliers that you are a baller).
People may then find that they like consuming entertainment that way even when not on a plane (e.g. you don't have to watch whatever **** your kids are watching).

Aspirational types will want them for the same reason. And without requiring some sort of hand held controller, the "gaming" focus fades away and it starts to feel like a more usable device. Easy connection to computers and a larger base of app developers gets more people on board, especially when you get the version that's not meant for developers but for ordinary consumers.

If it gets normalized, it can work.

Am I saying it will happen? Who knows--the tech/social moment/app selection needs to be right...it could be another Newton (decent idea, timing wrong), or it could be an ipad (certainly not an essential product, but still a popular item beloved by many).

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wealthy people will buy them if they make for much better in-flight entertainment (and they show all the other frequent fliers that you are a baller).
People may then find that they like consuming entertainment that way even when not on a plane (e.g. you don't have to watch whatever **** your kids are watching).

Biz class in flight is fine. The WSJ reviewer liked the device but mentioned head hurt after 15 mins. Can't imagine wearing this torture device for a transcon.
Also, frequent fliers show who is baller based on who gets to pre board.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads