• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Walmart looks good to me at this price. People still need their stuff irrespective of inflation and loss of discretionary income/wealth, no? Anyone see any red flags?

Was their issue getting inventory or selling inventory? I think the wait there was Shanghai still being locked down.

jack webb

Reaction score
nice!

“The board said it intended it to be a one-off award reflecting exemplary leadership”

bank is down 23% ytd (worst performing major bank), and they want to give Dimon a $50mn bonus. (After getting a $80mn retention bonus last year)

PaY fOr PeRfOrMaNcE!
Whenever a board wants to give its highly-paid CEO a large bonus for performance my question is, was he working for free? isn't he already paid at a rate that suggests performance is expected?

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Walmart looks good to me at this price. People still need their stuff irrespective of inflation and loss of discretionary income/wealth, no? Anyone see any red flags?
I think Amazon looks good. (I also think AirBnB looks good)

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was their issue getting inventory or selling inventory? I think the wait there was Shanghai still being locked down.

WalMart and Target both had similar issues. During this last quarter both got blind-sided by transportation costs and rapidly increasing overhead expenses. Walmart said they "over hired". Both said customer needs changed and they didn't have the right mix of inventory. Consumers suddenly wanted less home appliances, TV's (Stay at home) and more dresses, luggage, kids birthday gifts, etc (Go out and travel). Both had a lot of late deliveries so a lot will be put on sale or closed out. Neither indicated that they had yet felt the impact of the China lockdowns. That might happen in this next quarter? Customers are also spending, but more is going towards food.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As someone who brings in clothing from Asia, mostly China....

Regional lockdowns, port closures, and other supply chain issues from early 2022 lockdowns are yet to be felt.

Can I tell you exactly what will happen? No.

More pain to come? Yes.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As someone who works in the logistics industry, I can tell you that we'll meet the bonus target for 2022 by end of Q2 and the stretch target by end of Q3 if not sooner with the way things are going. It's just a matter of what will business look like in 2023.

tom153

Reaction score
Operating margin at 4-4.5%, no-to-very little growth, revenue doesn't even seem to be growing with inflation, yet its PE is 25? GTFO... Google has a better PE.

WMT's annual net income:
1652997966783.png

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As someone who brings in clothing from Asia, mostly China....

Regional lockdowns, port closures, and other supply chain issues from early 2022 lockdowns are yet to be felt.

Can I tell you exactly what will happen? No.

More pain to come? Yes.

in terms of supply issues i was watching a convo yesterday on bloomberg where terms like 'deglobalization' , 'friend shoring ' or 'near shoring ' were tossed around along with reshoring etc .

it seems reasonable to expect important supply chains to coalesce regionally in the medium term but i think the damage will be epic in the meantime . i'm looking at things from the demand side these days .

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
in terms of supply issues i was watching a convo yesterday on bloomberg where terms like 'deglobalization' , 'friend shoring ' or 'near shoring ' were tossed around along with reshoring etc .

it seems reasonable to expect important supply chains to coalesce regionally in the medium term but i think the damage will be epic in the meantime . i'm looking at things from the demand side these days .

We are looking at nearshoring but the real truth people don't like to accept is that China is really good at making stuff.

S. America and most of SE Asia is just....not as good.

The amount of QC failure I get out of Bangladesh is absurd.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is friend shoring like friend zoning?

and what would nearshoring be for the United States? South America or Europe aren’t near, and Mexico and Canada don’t have a shore facing us.

I actually have a team in Costa Rica that we refer to as the ‘nearshore’ team, but I’m guessing it’s not a big manufacturing source

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
When SPY gets to $200 gonna sell the tranches I bought at $230 in spring of 2020 and tax loss harvest.

$$$$ baby!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads