• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are we willing to bet that Piob will expend more effort explaining his requirements than he’d spend writing the spreadsheet itself :laugh:
Don't know what the odds are, but I am willing to sell options on the action so we can reap some tendies off of it

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Swinging too hard for the CHWY tendies and not getting filled. :( (TWSS!)

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm mentally plotting out an excel to track my dividend portfolio. If anyone has a good template I'd be interested vs. re-inventing the wheel. My thought is a sheet for each ticker symbol, 12 months across the top, each month with # of shares, what the dividend was, total dividend. Then total YTD dividend $$ total and current distribution rate. There will be a front summary sheet that just pulls from the others to give YTD info on each ticker and a cumulative YTD $$ and weighted distribution rate.

I'll need to figure out the formula for the distribution rate as it needs to be dynamic. I have to remember/figure out how to make a sheet data scrape. @otc?

Do you have Bloomberg? I can't imagine this doesn't already exist..

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Port at yet another ATH.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Selling my QYLD as soon as I get paid August's dividend. If the thought is to preserve capital in the event of a market dip a fund holding NASDAQ stocks is not going to do that. I'll get back to it on the upside of the next recovery. New hopeful is LTC, a REIT that holds senior living real estate and skilled nursing facilities. They pay out about 2% less than their portfolio generates so seems sustainable, and with the Boomers, it's not like a demand for this market space is going to contract in the next 20 years.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On QYLD, since their dividend was so high, is it because they guaranteed the yield and thus would return principle to maintain the dividend yield % or were the assets actually generating that much cash?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I would suspect some use of capital which would be double bad if the underlying fell too.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
@Omega Male can you link that article on what baskets do best in various economies? I think it showed that REITs were basically always a good play?

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Yup, that was it. Thanks.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not stonks.

Ngl, I sell options and treat it as a form of gambling. I try to avoid large losses by not selling naked options and avoid going after really high premiums. Usually if I aim for 1% return a week on my capital, I'm pretty safe. If I go aggressive and shoot for 1.5%+ return a week on options, then it starts getting a lot more risky.

Last edited:

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last paragraph of first section, “I considered this a safe, calculated bet”. That should’ve been the lede

jack webb

Reaction score
I remember a business-school professor (who also ran a hedge fund) writing on the board the typical outcome when playing with options. He wrote down several small w's to denote wins (successful trades), followed by a towering L. That was kind of my experience, although I think on balance the w's prevailed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads