• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
It's not that there's necessarily anything wrong with filet but just eating it because you're spending the most of someone else's money is the very definition of pleb. It's like the idiot wedding guests that get totally **** faced because it's an open bar and they want to "get their money's worth" from giving a wedding gift.

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Filet is my least favorite steak but i often order it if I am trying to eat light (relatively speaking of course).

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's like the idiot wedding guests that get totally **** faced because it's an open bar and they want to "get their money's worth" from giving a wedding gift.
You say this like it's a bad thing. I get totally **** faced because the hosts want me to get my money's worth because they spent a **** ton.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Open bars are not flat rate for the host. You count your inventory going in, count your inventory returned, and charge per unit. The more you drink, the more the host pays.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Eh--most wedding packages offer multiple options.

Sure, there's an "open bar" that's really just a per-drink bar billed to the hosts....but many places also offer a "per-head" open bar package. Basically specify what quality level of booze you're willing to pay for and you get it.

Although unless ALL of your friends are alcoholics, the per-head option rarely comes out ahead. If you have to pay $75/person, they make you pay for every guest. Even if every drink is $10-12 (which they won't be...uncle jim will just order Coors Light) you'd need to average 7+ drinks per guest to come out ahead. That's pretty unlikely with most crowds.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One venue we really liked was a distillery and their prices actually seemed pretty reasonable at face value.

$7/person/hour for most of their spirits (or $10/hr to include their 3 top-end ryes/whiskeys). Of course they suggest you have the bar open for the whole time, so you end up with a 5-hour bar package. But $35 a person is pretty good for quality booze--you break even at 3-4 cocktails based on their bar menu price.

Oh yeah--except they don't do beer and wine service, so you'd have to pay extra for outside beer/wine. And you'd have to pay a separate charge for their licensed staff to serve said beer/wine.

And of course you're also paying them for their catering so they can make up the difference on that. And there's a high venue fee on top of everything...unlike many venues that might kick in the venue for free (or a token cost) as long as you hit the food/bev minimums.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Open bars are not flat rate for the host. You count your inventory going in, count your inventory returned, and charge per unit. The more you drink, the more the host pays.
All the weddings I've been to have been flat rate per person so the hosts are telling me to go wild.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i guess i'd probably order a ribeye if i got a steak out? i find strip to run lean and oddly sweet, i've tried filet out it's good i guess.

or maybe if i could just get a lambchop that would be the way i think

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
You Americans are crazy for catering!

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
All the weddings I've been to have been flat rate per person so the hosts are telling me to go wild.

I've also been to one that was on a tab, but near the end of the night the hosts were like "we haven't hit our minimum yet, so please drink more...otherwise the money is just wasted."

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That makes perfect sense but flat rate open bar? Damn.
Yea that's pretty standard at all the weddings I've been to. When 2 of my close friends got married, their wedding was flat rate per head plus a bottling/corking fee for liquor that wasn't part of the package and purchased by the bride and groom. I was told that I had to get to at least double digit drinks before they shut it down..

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That makes perfect sense but flat rate open bar? Damn.

flat rate open bar pretty standard in these parts. Typically charge you per person and tier it depending on quality of booze you want available.

your other option is called “consumption” bar in this neck of the woods.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My steak choice depends on what else we are having with it. A pleb comment from me will be, I can’t stand prime rib. I’ve had it multiple times and is never great and the people that I find who enjoy it dowse it in some sort of sauce.

At our wedding, a few buddies found out the bar had Jager, I mean we were in Germany, and that was the only liquor they charged by the shot. All other booze, wine, and beer was priced per bottle opened so it was pretty reasonable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads