• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you add 14% CA state cap gains tax, the numbers do start to look a little painful. Going to be a double whammy for the PE side as the carried interest loophole is pretty much sure to be closed in the course of the ensuing horse trading. Will be interesting to see how this shifts comp structures in the investment space.

From a broad market perspective it is most likely a nothing burger.

1619189830158.png

Last edited:

brokencycle

Reaction score
Those VC's are stupid as **** when it comes to dealing with actual people. Also there's no way a D controlled President and Congress is going to spend more on military.

These charts beg to disagree.

US military spending over time (red boxes cover times where Ds controlled both chambers of Congress and WH). The box on the far left seems small, but it is almost a 2x increase $47B > $85B.

The fact is military spending is so spread out over districts that Ds love it it to because it brings jobs to their districts.
1619191554729.png

1619191620779.png

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These charts beg to disagree.

US military spending over time (red boxes cover times where Ds controlled both chambers of Congress and WH). The box on the far left seems small, but it is almost a 2x increase $47B > $85B.

The fact is military spending is so spread out over districts that Ds love it it to because it brings jobs to their districts.
View attachment 1598488
View attachment 1598489

I'd like to see that chart normalized to account for inflation.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe VCs should just work harder then they can make up for their lost $$$. If they cut out their meditation, morning pages, and daily Clubhouse circlejerk, they'd be Scrooge McDuck swimming in their money bins.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Today?

giphy.gif

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I got out too soon. Found out this morning the WSBs crowd is pumping it.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was down pretty big on my CSP’s for MVIS until WSB pumped the **** out of it the second half of this week. I exited out of most of my CSP’s for a small profit except for one $8 put that expires in May.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Man, my diagonal spreads on DH Horton that I opened this week I could have closed today for a 16% ROC. Instead I did more weekly calls against my LEAPS.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nearing the end of a fairly thorough job search. It's been really interesting doing so during the pandemic. What I've found is that there are numerous remote opportunities as well as local ones. I've gotten far more traction in this search than previous ones, whether because my network has grown, I've tuned my responses well enough to move forward in processes or because there is just excess demand for my field. Being in Silicon Valley (and having SV experience) has been a big asset for both local and remote searches. Some of the companies I've gotten the most traction with are east coast companies (not in traditional tech hubs like NYC or Boston) that don't really have strong connections to SV and met me through my network.

I'm also seeing a variety of return to office plans. Some companies I've talked to want to remain remote first where others feel like they've lost too much by being remote and are eager to get back into an office. The ones going back to the office generally acknowledge there will remain more remote only people than before but that they have a strong preference not to let that poison the culture making it hard to get people to come into the office. Everyone seems to be cool with more WFH days which is great for me since I've been working 2-3 days per week remote for the better part of a decade. Oh the other takeaway is that there are a lot of crypto opportunities but my crypto-skepticism really makes it hard for me to buy into those roles.

I've talked to so many companies this time around that one thing is assured - one of the ones I missed on will go on to wild success and I will eventually feel some FOMO. Had to pass on one offer yesterday because I didn't want to keep them in limbo and definitely felt some regret. Prior to that passed on an opportunity to return to a prior company looking to SPAC which was a tough conversation as well.

I am down to a relatively small but diverse number of options and should be in a new role by the end of May. I'm really glad I had this opportunity to detox from my last job and mountain bike a lot but also looking forward to like talking to people, etc. In some ways this was a trial run for early retirement and I guess the takeway is that a pandemic is probably not my ideal time to be early retired lol.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Next week will be about writing put credit spreads if I can find the right underlying.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads