• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never forget ...

Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 9.25.10 PM.png

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, why the heck did I sell?

If I hadn't done so and posted about it, you probably wouldn't have done it either!

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
High level question.

Should I invest my hsa funds above what my maximum out of pocket per plan year is?

I have 4200 in my hsa, I was thinking of setting automatic investments to kick I once it hits 5000.

Thoughts? Comments? Ideas? I was looking at just picking a vanguard target fund and Just ignoring it.

Thanks!

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
High level question.

Should I invest my hsa funds above what my maximum out of pocket per plan year is?

I have 4200 in my hsa, I was thinking of setting automatic investments to kick I once it hits 5000.

Thoughts? Comments? Ideas? I was looking at just picking a vanguard target fund and Just ignoring it.

Thanks!
My HSA makes us keep 1K in cash and lets us invest the rest. Shouldn’t be an issue investing a bunch of your money as selling doesn’t incur taxes

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My HSA makes us keep 1K in cash and lets us invest the rest. Shouldn’t be an issue investing a bunch of your money as selling doesn’t incur taxes
Yeah mine has 1k minimum too. I just want to make sure I don't end up having a medical expenses and invested too much. Although, if there is no tax I plication for selling, maybe I do invest it all

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
High level question.

Thanks!
I set my HSA at $7500 cash and everything in excess gets invested.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I recently dipped my toe in the crypto water. Basically my pinky toe.

I did a little BTC to trigger the referral fee at Coinbase and then got like $30 of assorted other crypto doing their little tutorials. I'm actually doing pretty well in terms of percentage, but I'm not making any appreciable money given the tiny amounts invested. It's fun to just have a few bucks in it to goof off, and I might add a little cash from time to time, but I don't think I'll be a crypto trader any time soon. Between the nature of the crypto market and my overall ignorance of it, it's flat-out gambling to me in a way that makes equities look conservative.

I also bought some COIN yesterday. Real money but a small percentage of my portfolio. It's been an unpleasant day on that front, but I'm long on it.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I appreciated your scene on Saturday.

Ha. I have the green version of the gilet Daniel Kaluuya is wearing in that bit. The fact that I noticed it makes me feel all StyleForvmy in a way COVID hasn't let me feel in quite a while.

chickenfark

Reaction score
My e-fund covers my max health insurance OOP costs, since you can always reimburse yourself from your HSA and pay yourself back, so to speak, down the line. Thought process being I want to maximize using that vehicle as much as I can. I have to keep 2k in cash in there and the rest is invested.

brokencycle

Reaction score
High level question.

Thanks!

I'm 100% invested. My max out of pocket is like $3k, so whatever I'll just pay it. I rather get that triple advantaged investment gains.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to use my HSA funds, now just invest them all except for my wife's weird HSA where the funds are on a debit card and not invested in anything. We use that card then throw the cash into our taxable account.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I used to use my HSA funds, now just invest them all except for my wife's weird HSA where the funds are on a debit card and not invested in anything. We use that card then throw the cash into our taxable account.
You can do independent HSA funds (for your wife) if you don’t like the plan you’re in

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah mine has 1k minimum too. I just want to make sure I don't end up having a medical expenses and invested too much. Although, if there is no tax I plication for selling, maybe I do invest it all

I'm dealing with that right now. I've always had mine at the 1k and invest the rest setting (although it drifts above 1k cash--maybe they only invest once a month/quarter or something).

I tend to not have much medical expense and just pay them out of pocket. I'm not yet willing to play the "save your receipts for 30 years" game, but I just use the maxed-out HSA as an investment vehicle.

But now I have my wife on the plan...which doubled my deductible and out of pocket max to something crazy. Plus she needs more healthcare than me.

So now we are sitting on >1k in bills from some imaging/diagnostic visits and I'm not sure what to do. Do I just go find the Visa that is linked to the HSA and let her pay everything from that? Does it automatically sell if you use up the cash portion?

She's having a hard time mentally dealing with the whole high-deductible/low-premium plan...the bills just feel huge, and then its like "maybe I shouldn't have this done, that seems so expensive".
...Even though had I gone with the standard low-dedictible PPO plan, the extra premiums coming out of my paycheck would cover the cost of the test in a month or two.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads