• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't see how this doesn't lift up the stock market for years to come. (watch markets crash down on Monday)
The primary risk to that is inflation

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The primary risk to that is inflation
Absolutely. But we don't have any real indication that inflation is creeping up since the last CPI reading was 0.3%. It does look like we have a broad asset price inflation but I don't think there will be a big correction when the economy is chugging along with low inflation until the Fed starts to pull back the money supply.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bond yields this week have been signaling the market's (and Fed's) expectations of higher inflationary risk than previously priced in.

I also don't believe in a rampant inflation scenario but even small changes in rates can impact stock valuations quite a bit

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bond yields this week have been signaling the market's (and Fed's) expectations of higher inflationary risk than previously priced in.

I also don't believe in a rampant inflation scenario but even small changes in rates can impact stock valuations quite a bit

Can someone ELI5 how printing trillions of dollars and circulating them doesn’t lead to higher inflation and/or devaluation of the US dollar? I am not an expert in economics and genuinely don’t understand this concept.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone ELI5 how printing trillions of dollars and circulating them doesn’t lead to higher inflation and/or devaluation of the US dollar? I am not an expert in economics and genuinely don’t understand this concept.
It's easy, you just fold it in.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cash hoarding in the banking system, savings rates going up, conservative balance sheet/capex from corporations, cautious or inexistent wage increases (because unemployment), cautious consumer spending (see unemployment and wages), deflationary pressure from the economic crisis.

Massive QE since 2008 has not left to noticeable inflation (a bit of pressure on the USD, yes).

Also: Japan

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Is that even a newsworthy headline?

There's a not-insignificant number of 30 year olds who own $720k condos without moving back in with their parents or hitting them up for a down payment.

Software Engineer in bay area buys modest condo, news at 10.

brokencycle

Reaction score

In the bay area it is. That probably is a studio or maybe a 1br.

We bought our first house at 23 after the housing crash. You would have thought lending requirements got more strict, but we per-qualified for a $400k mortgage when our household income was ~$50k (and only required 3% down), so I can't imagine it is too difficult to qualify for a mortgage to buy a $700k+ property.

I'm not saying the article isn't stupid (because it is), but decent amount of young folks could technically buy one (not saying it is a good idea). It does remind me of the articles my wife would regularly read "317 tricks to pay off your student loans faster" -- #8 borrow less. #47 pay more than the minimum.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the bay area it is. That probably is a studio or maybe a 1br.

We bought our first house at 23 after the housing crash. You would have thought lending requirements got more strict, but we per-qualified for a $400k mortgage when our household income was ~$50k (and only required 3% down), so I can't imagine it is too difficult to qualify for a mortgage to buy a $700k+ property.

I'm not saying the article isn't stupid (because it is), but decent amount of young folks could technically buy one (not saying it is a good idea). It does remind me of the articles my wife would regularly read "317 tricks to pay off your student loans faster" -- #8 borrow less. #47 pay more than the minimum.
Is #1 make more money?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads