• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I sold about 40k worth of puts today.

tenor.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I'm not day trading, I'm selling options. Totally different.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who was it piling into ARKK last week?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Momma Cathie will come back! (Not me buying it, btw, a newer poster.)

My big trade today was on Chewy's. I've been looking at them for some time. I think their patrons won't evaporate after COVID. We've been using them since pre-COVID and I know a lot of pet folks have been too. I think they've captured more permanent customers through COVID. Their financials are showing profitability in the not too distant future.

STO x3 4/16 85p for $8.00! That's some tendies.

brokencycle

Reaction score
The business lingo that has run rampant in our organization is "crisp" as in "we need to be very crisp on this." ALL THE ******* TIME!

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been a net buyer of ARKK well before the recent hysteria and have used it as a rebalance play a few times along the way. It comes down to whether you believe in the investment thesis rather than the mania. And what the risk appetite is.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The business lingo that has run rampant in our organization is "crisp" as in "we need to be very crisp on this." ALL THE ******* TIME!

you could try 'for realzies' 'hey we need to do this for realzies people'

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven’t heard Crisp before. I worked at Hollister in maybe 2005 and my manager would always tell us to “Clutch” the folding making sure everything was lined up and looking good.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Momma Cathie will come back! (Not me buying it, btw, a newer poster.)

My big trade today was on Chewy's. I've been looking at them for some time. I think their patrons won't evaporate after COVID. We've been using them since pre-COVID and I know a lot of pet folks have been too. I think they've captured more permanent customers through COVID. Their financials are showing profitability in the not too distant future.

STO x3 4/16 85p for $8.00! That's some tendies.
If you believe the stock has a strong profile and the company's earnings will grow faster than expected, why are you selling puts and limiting your upside to the premium? Why not buy the underlying or buy calls?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
If you believe the stock has a strong profile and the company's earnings will grow faster than expected, why are you selling puts and limiting your upside to the premium? Why not buy the underlying or buy calls?

Selling the put ATM money gives me a 50 delta of getting assigned with the rather juicy premiums. With the market currently being so jankie doesn’t this play make sense? As to buying calls...what percent of options expire worthless? Everything I’ve read indicates 70-80%. I figure I’d rather be on the other end of that arrangement.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1) it sounded like you were bullish on the stock, which makes me wonder why you'd use a short put strategy to execute a (longer term?) bullish trade. Your upside is limited and the trade is short term.
2) if the market is janky or volatile, you like the idea of being the insurance company here and getting paid a premium to assume all the risk?

I dunno - it just seems like the strategy doesn't fit the argument. Just buy the underlying or a cal if you think a stock is undervalued or has great prospects.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Selling a put is really a bullish move in general as you're indicating sentiment the stock will stay above the strike you sold it at, no? In this particular case it's not quite as bullish as I hope I get assigned, plus with the premiums, that knocks another $8 or 9.4% off my cost basis. That also serves the additional purpose of an $8 range buffer for me if $85 really isn't the bottom. If I bought today at 85, and it dropped to $70, I'd be down $15 a share. If the bottom ends up being $70, due to my put premium, I'm only down $7. (I'd also start writing covered calls with a 20 delta to offset the loss.)

If the stock starts to move rapidly up I can always just buy the number of shares I want and let this put expire, keeping the premiums. Another tactic would be to just let these puts expire, collecting the $800, and sell more puts on a weekly option that's a little bit in the money and get assigned. Those ITM puts usually offer pretty good premiums as delta will be moving towards 1.

I know you're an IB guy and know way more about finance than I do but I don't think the above analysis is faulty. I know my self-taught knowledge is limited, and I'm not even playing with iron condors, the various spread and straddle strategies, etc., but I honestly don't see a hole in my thinking here.

Lastly, I'm still just a buy and hold index fund guy for the vast majority of our nest egg and just fooling around with this a bit for fun and a little profit. In fact I'm thinking moving some cash out of our reserves and buy some more SPY today or next week.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads