• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How those covered calls looking today @Piobaire?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How did that job interview go? Are you getting rejected like you hoped?

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty good swing today - I feel like I missed an opportunity to do my weekly average in buy during the AM dip. I was busy with morning household administrative tasks so I set a limit order that wasn't quite filled. Question though - is there a generally accepted strategy for averaging in? I've been buying weekly on Wednesdays. Is is normal to just pick a specific day?

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty good swing today - I feel like I missed an opportunity to do my weekly average in buy during the AM dip. I was busy with morning household administrative tasks so I set a limit order that wasn't quite filled. Question though - is there a generally accepted strategy for averaging in? I've been buying weekly on Wednesdays. Is is normal to just pick a specific day?

Lump sum has mathematically been shown to have better outcomes but if you are buying on a set schedule, keep to the schedule and buy. Mutual Funds provide an interesting example as most of them buy at the end of the day. So if you threw money into a Vanguard fund, you would have missed all of the craziness of the morning. If you bought an ETF, you may have bought on the dip. Either way, if this is long-term money, just buy.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lump sum has mathematically been shown to have better outcomes but if you are buying on a set schedule, keep to the schedule and buy. Mutual Funds provide an interesting example as most of them buy at the end of the day. So if you threw money into a Vanguard fund, you would have missed all of the craziness of the morning. If you bought an ETF, you may have bought on the dip. Either way, if this is long-term money, just buy.
It's almost like you are saying that attempted market timing is dumb . . .:redface:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Lulz. Those apes at WSB must be trying to run up GME again today. Market is down to sideways and GME pops almost 10% this morning?

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lulz. Those apes at WSB must be trying to run up GME again today. Market is down to sideways and GME pops almost 10% this morning?

Yeah AMC is the only thing in my portfolio that's green rn. TO THE MOONNNNNNN

edit: Full disclosure, I'm still sitting on like 50% paper losses though haha

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah AMC is the only thing in my portfolio that's green rn. TO THE MOONNNNNNN

edit: Full disclosure, I'm still sitting on like 50% paper losses though haha
Diamond hands! Hold the line.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I'm getting cock-blocked today. I have four open orders and none of my limits are getting filled.

:fu:

But you know what?

67ca71c5f4317fe618574e7238a1acfb.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads