• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That place has minted more profoundly rich nerds than Silicon Valley. There's a decent book about them.

1611158926616.png

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered that one from my Amazon wish list last week. Decided to clear that out and order every book I had on there.

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So Vanguard returned an IRA rollover check because we did not say where to invest the funds though it was discussed on the phone. Quicker option was submit deposit via taking picture of the check like you do at your bank. This experience left me amazed they still do not do electronic funds transfers and it takes like a month or two to complete the process but you can submit checks on your phone. The whole process is a racket.

Reasons like this are why my FA told me to buy Vanguard mutual funds through ETrade. VTSAX, VTIAX, and VBTLX are NTF funds.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also saw Jim Simons is stepping down. Medallion fund was up 70+% last year while their public facing fund was down over 30%. Anyone ever met someone that worked at Renn Tech? I assume they are a quirky bunch to say the least.
Weird that the returns are that disparate. Not a good look

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I need to move my biggest taxable account out of my old roboadvisor. They are changing stuff around and I don't feel compelled to stick around. I'd like to stick with a roboadvisor, but I've decided I don't really care that much about features like Tax Loss Harvesting so I don't think it is worth the premium for Wealthfront or Betterment.

Anyone have experience with Vanguard Digital Advisor?

I wouldn't mind Schwab's offering (and already have an account with them) except for the forced cash position.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1611163078649.png

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reasons like this are why my FA told me to buy Vanguard mutual funds through ETrade. VTSAX, VTIAX, and VBTLX are NTF funds.

We will be almost Vanguard exclusive except for my wife’s 401k. We had about half at Fidelity but their interface is a nightmare and there are multiple entrance points so you can have various looks depending on where you login.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So my company was recently acquired and I'm just a few weeks into the transition. I thought it would be bad but I have to admit after just a few weeks it's even worse than I imagined. I have never worked for a big company and now I never want to.

The 401(k) is "good" in that it has a fairly generous match but it has a vesting provision and the investment options aren't that great. My company's 401(k) was by comparison significantly better so the one area I had hoped to be better is not. Oh and no mega backdoor ROTH - although they acknowledge a lot of people are interested in it and that it's something that they could enable.

Long story short, I am glad I didn't roll my 401(k) over to them because I might leave before the rollover even would have completed.

EDIT: On the bright side, I do feel fortunate to be in a position to kvetch about this job because on the surface it's not a bad job, it's just not a good fit for me and I think I can find something more satisfying elsewhere. On some levels it's the worst lawyer job I've had which I guess makes me pretty lucky.

Last edited:

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
for those of you with a Bloomberg or Bloomberg Anywhere, great 40 minute interview with Jeremy Grantham, where he speaks at length about his “epic bubble” hypothesis.

ryebreadiest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a joke. Right?
You just buy a stock, wait for it to go up, and then sell it when it does. How can it go wrong? I’m making so much money that I don’t even care if you click on my referral link (please click on my referral link)!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
S&P down .3%.

******* BIDEN!!

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads