• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dear diary. Today I learned that I'm more vanilla than I thought. Ngl, wtf? OM.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear diary. Today I learned that I'm more vanilla than I thought. Ngl, wtf? OM.
I mean, cuckolding rates pretty high on the kink scale to be fair - so don't sell yourself short!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
How you all can make a beautiful topic such as BJs so ******* uncomfortable I'm cringing is beyond me.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One of the simultaneously most beautiful and annoying things about the same people poasting in all threads both serious and dumb, is that there’s a decent chance that all threads eventually become the Drunk Poasting Thread

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the simultaneously most beautiful and annoying things about the same people poasting in all threads both serious and dumb, is that there’s a decent chance that all threads eventually become the Drunk Poasting Thread
I stopped getting drunk so I’m not TV drunk poasting.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I stopped getting drunk so I’m not TV drunk poasting.

i've gotten hammered twice in the last 3 years, one of which was last night.

somehow have a switch inside me that says it's time to put down the styfo and really focus on my drunk

ryebreadiest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a specific reason to choose the vanguard admiral share funds like the 500 index fund vs the EFTs like VOO? All money is in either IRA or 401ks. Is it just buying full shares or not, and the 0.03 vs 0.04 expense?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Is there a specific reason to choose the vanguard admiral share funds like the 500 index fund vs the EFTs like VOO? All money is in either IRA or 401ks. Is it just buying full shares or not, and the 0.03 vs 0.04 expense?
For long term investing, I don’t think there’s much practical difference beyond what you mentioned. ETFs are a bit more liquid in that you can buy or sell immediately as opposed to only at the day’s close, but if you’re not actively trading that’s immaterial. Some ETFs can be dodgy because their strategy for trying to track an index can have some gaps, especially when they’re smaller ETFs that can’t really buy a fully representative sample. That’s probably not much of an issue for VOO, though. Even though its value is based on market demand rather than NAV, it looks like the two tend to perform almost identically.
(This all assumes you are buying through Vanguard either way. If you have to pay brokerage fees for VOO that obviously changes the analysis.)

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Is this the place to talk about triple leveraged ETFs?

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As Lawyerdad mentioned, either strategy works and I own both Vanguard Funds and ETFs. Funds allow you to put any amount of money in vs. having to buy whole ETF shares but it's not like you are waiting to buy BRK.A shares, so the amount sitting in cash is minimal. While that is a plus for Funds, they are not as tax efficient because Funds pass dividends payouts onto you so there is a taxable event each year while the ETF gets around this. This really only matters in taxable accounts vs. IRAs/401ks.

The only other item to think about is when you have a Roth IRA. Since assets currently can be withdrawn tax free, you may want your highest growth items in these accounts so an S&P fund vs. a bond fund.

ryebreadiest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the info. I've been diving into the whole Boglehead thing and picked up/read "The Simple Path to Wealth". I've noticed that there seems to be a split between "Put everything in index funds" and the 2 and 3 fund portfolios that include bonds and other more secure investments. Since I will have a teacher pension and my wife and I will both inherit some property eventually, I was leaning toward just having our Roth IRAs and her 401k all in VOO/VTI/equivalent. That would shift as we get older (I'm 36 and she's 33) but for now it seems like we are just reducing our upside. We are fully onboard with 'stay the long term, keep investing every year, don't panic, low expense index funds, save a lot of money' etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads