• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cut employee benefits, keep dividend and CEO made $23m last year (you really gotta pay up for this kind of performance!)

5 years ago from my roommate from college
Him- You need to work in oil and gas. That's where the money's at.
Me- No thanks. I don't want to work in an industry that cyclical.

Now
Him- Vote for Trump. He'll save the oil and gas industry!
Me- Lulz!

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don’t know what other compensation levers they can pull in this situation (noteworthy because article mentions the presence of unions), but unless there’s no other choice, suspending 401k match seems particularly painful/unfair because of foregone compounded gains

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Those matches are also related to longevity and turn over costs money.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Employee retention has jaw dropping returns by just cutting turnover by tenths of a percent. I worked for a company with 200K employees and the HR analytics team said, "if we can cut turnover by 0.1%, we could save $25M." While the math checks out, tracking the savings is tough because it is a little here and a little there that ultimately create a large number.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean, they are looking to cut 15% of their workforce over the next two years. You could argue the incentives are aligned here.

brokencycle

Reaction score
I mean, they are looking to cut 15% of their workforce over the next two years. You could argue the incentives are aligned here.

Most companies aren't trying to cut the top 15% of their employees though.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Okay, just put in limit order for $320 on SPY with the same size tranch of last week. That's down roughly 11% from the price I sold it all at.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, just put in limit order for $320 on SPY with the same size tranch of last week. That's down roughly 11% from the price I sold it all at.
You seem to be a good leading indicator. Perhaps I too should buy something

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been taking the opposite approach. What I bought last week is now 8% cheaper this week.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
You seem to be a good leading indicator. Perhaps I too should buy something

I recently got very lucky once and I 100% understand that. It went against all my inclinations of long term investing and being anti-market timing but extraordinary times call for extraordinary measures. It still might blow up on my face and I end up buying back above what I sold my SPY for. I know you're just joking but wanted to be clear I still have misgivings about what I've done in the past weeks.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Misgivings.gif

I recently got very lucky once and I 100% understand that. It went against all my inclinations of long term investing and being anti-market timing but extraordinary times call for extraordinary measures. It still might blow up on my face and I end up buying back above what I sold my SPY for. I know you're just joking but wanted to be clear I still have misgivings about what I've done in the past weeks.

Look, you may have misgivings, but it worked. So ya know, take what you made and buy some more fireglass!

Seriously though, timing it right once is all you need, and you have timed it right at least one more time than me!

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been taking the opposite approach. What I bought last week is now 8% cheaper this week.

I sold about 95% of my equities, albeit, closer to the 3450 level. I won't step in again until S&P hits 2,500. I am however, continuing to put incremental 401K contributions into equities as a bit of a hedge.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sold about 95% of my equities, albeit, closer to the 3450 level. I won't step in again until S&P hits 2,500. I am however, continuing to put incremental 401K contributions into equities as a bit of a hedge.

So you are waiting for a ~27% decline from your sell price. If you are wrong, what is your re-entry price? When I sold my EMs, I bought back in at +10% as a signal I was wrong. I'm so good they have never returned to my re-entry price as they are lower :(

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads