• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My dad grew up quite wealthy in the UK between the wars -- family manufacturing business with branches across the country and agencies in Shanghai and Buenos Aires. His Dad ran the silver flatware business in Sheffield until one day, he just didn't anymore. I've never found out what happened, but assume there were fingers in the till? They were abruptly cut off and disinherited. Moved out of the big house into a small house, moved from the fancy private school to the state school. I think that sudden fall from grace was formative for him (or perhaps it was just the Scottish ancestry) because he was scrupulous with money his whole life. Not tight, just attentive. Anyway, long story short, he's still alive at 99 and I never asked him for a dime after graduating high school nor has he ever had to ask me for a dime up to this point, so I think that worked out for both of us. For the obligatory bit about the power of compound interest, he inherited I think maybe 15,000 Sterling in the early '70s and invested it and never touched it and this should easily pay for two American college educations going forward, assuming one of them actually doesn't make it as a pro video gamer before then, as currently planned. FML.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1601223788503.png

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
How does the market react to the NYT info?

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does the market react to the NYT info?
The other billionaires are probably taking notes and suggestions for how to lower their own tax bills

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a CPA and hate tax prep. Can't wait to hear people opine on taxes like they've spent 40yrs being miserable in tax prep.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a CPA and hate tax prep. Can't wait to hear people opine on taxes like they've spent 40yrs being miserable in tax prep.
Transfer pricing and international tax bro. That's where the money is at.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who preps for taxes any more? I just use a random number generator to fill in lines on my forms. Worked well so far.... I have a meeting with the IRS scheduled to discuss this, no doubt they would like to congratulate me on my time saving approach

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Or the medical profession.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Or the medical profession.
Tangentially related --
The girlfriend's mom has some medical issues that give her chronic, sometimes debilitating pain. Her doctor is apparently reluctant to prescribe opioids (understandable as a general matter, and I'm guessing the patient hasn't pushed and has downplayed her pain somewhat). I accompanied the girlfriend to a dispensary to buy cannabis for her mom, who (mom) is too embarrassed/uncertain to do it for herself. In discussing ratios and such of different products, the dispensary salesperson said, "You have to keep in mind, if you're using it for pain management the THC goes directly to the pain, which proportionally reduces the amount that goes to getting you high, so you can go with a higher ratio." Science FTW!
It reminded me of college conversations about how THC bonds with food molecules, so the calories for anything you eat when you have the munchies don't count.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads