• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The no college argument is survivorship bias similar to when a billionaire says everyone should be an entrepreneur. For every millionaire car salesman, there are tons also making $30K.
That's what a lot of the no college crowd misses in their arguments. For every Steve Jobs, Michael Dell, or Android Zuckerburg their are a **** ton of drop outs living paycheck to paycheck. The Steve Jobs probably would've been successful with or without school. Most of the no college crowd I've met don't have that same drive. I probably won't ever be a billionaire or even 10 millionaire with my college background but I also probably won't ever have to worry about living paycheck to paycheck either.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also, most of those drop out examples didn't drop out until their business was already showing extreme promise (jobs is a notable exception)

Dell made 200k (in 1984 dollars) in the year before he actually dropped out...

Not to mention that many of these kids went to elite private high schools that got them a head start on college level learning. Zuck went to Philips Exeter, and Gates had fancy schools that granted him computer access that far exceeded what the average kid would have been able to get outside of a university.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also, most of those drop out examples didn't drop out until their business was already showing extreme promise (jobs is a notable exception)

Dell made 200k (in 1984 dollars) in the year before he actually dropped out...

Not to mention that many of these kids went to elite private high schools that got them a head start on college level learning. Zuck went to Philips Exeter, and Gates had fancy schools that granted him computer access that far exceeded what the average kid would have been able to get outside of a university.
Not to mention both went to Harvard where they used connections to other students/alumni to bankroll and start their companies.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had a professor whose method of calculating inflation for entrepreneurs (e.g. when looking at old case studies) is to use the base model Porsche 911 as a measurement unit.

They've been produced continuously since the early 60s, prices are readily available, and they are an aspirational good that many entrepreneurs would love to own (or might have been able to purchase instead of making their business investment). Seems to work better than most inflation measures since things like the CPI don't really matter as much when you are talking about large amounts of money. When you're looking at a story from the 70s and wondering "how big a risk were they really taking", it works pretty well.

So for Dell's first year of college success:
1984 Base 911: $31,950
Base 911 today: $99,200

(99,200/31,950)*200,000 = $620,970 in today's entrepreneur bucks.

If any kid made $600k as a college freshman...yeah, I'd probably tell them it is worth pursuing that idea. If a kid who has made (and spent) $10 bucks an hour working at the sandwich shop says they want to drop out to "do something real"...yeah, they aren't getting the same advice.

brokencycle

Reaction score
I had a professor whose method of calculating inflation for entrepreneurs (e.g. when looking at old case studies) is to use the base model Porsche 911 as a measurement unit.

They've been produced continuously since the early 60s, prices are readily available, and they are an aspirational good that many entrepreneurs would love to own (or might have been able to purchase instead of making their business investment). Seems to work better than most inflation measures since things like the CPI don't really matter as much when you are talking about large amounts of money. When you're looking at a story from the 70s and wondering "how big a risk were they really taking", it works pretty well.

So for Dell's first year of college success:
1984 Base 911: $31,950
Base 911 today: $99,200

(99,200/31,950)*200,000 = $620,970 in today's entrepreneur bucks.

If any kid made $600k as a college freshman...yeah, I'd probably tell them it is worth pursuing that idea. If a kid who has made (and spent) $10 bucks an hour working at the sandwich shop says they want to drop out to "do something real"...yeah, they aren't getting the same advice.

I'm sorry, but I feel this proves everyone should drop out of college.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And it's always these kids that are saying college is worthless too.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
y’all are getting trolled into expending all this effort to provide all these otc responses to nonsensical assertions. Except otc, of course, who by definition cannot be trolled into being otc.

I suppose it’s an interesting topic, albeit somewhat tangential, to look into the real value of a college education, though.
Sounds like my kinda guy/gal.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I enjoy how the sea lion makes an assertion, I present facts that demolish his assertion, and he just ignores it. Best sea lion in the threak.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
y’all are getting trolled into expending all this effort to provide all these otc responses to nonsensical assertions. Except otc, of course, who by definition cannot be trolled into being otc.

I suppose it’s an interesting topic, albeit somewhat tangential, to look into the real value of a college education, though.

Sounds like my kinda guy/gal.

To be fair, LA Guy fucked up when he renamed this thread. It should have been the OFFICIAL Charts and Graphs thread

1597246168106.png

brokencycle

Reaction score
Will someone explain to me why Tesla is up more than 7x from the 52 week low? The stock chart for this year looks like crypto

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More redistribution of wealth towards the top. Borrowing costs falling for large companies, rising for small ones. Self-evidently, this makes large companies more profitable and competitive and small companies less profitable and competitive. Large companies are also obviously more likely to be publicly traded, and the majority of their equity is held by the top 1% of income earners (56% as of late 2019, compared to just 12% for the bottom 90% of income earners.) This financing trend is a net negative for future job growth (small firms tend to grow faster than large firms) and will increase the share of returns to capital across the economy and decrease the share of returns to labor. Ask yourself, bug or feature?

Last edited:

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Google just borrowed $2B for 10yrs at 1.1%. I'm sure we could come up with some BS plan to make a return greater than 1.1%.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads