• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

brokencycle

Reaction score
Well, right there they are nothing like the majority of college attendees, so your comment is pretty much meaningless. Both of your sub-groups are likely to meet with success at far higher rates than the general populace.

Plus, let's be real, the Peter Thiel fellowship is a red herring. Take people who have a good idea and pay them $100k to start a business/non-profit/whatever to run with that idea rather than go to college. It isn't surprising they're going to succeed at a high rate. That doesn't mean the average college goer would succeed or have as much success in life by skipping college.

Everyone likes to talk about how Bill Gates or Tim Apple or whoever that dropped out of college, but a lot of them benefited from a college education. Like Steve Jobs just attended classes without paying or getting a degree: he still benefited from the knowledge. Gates met Ballmer at Harvard (who gradauted magna *** laude and helped build Microsoft into what it is today).

But yes, let's make massive sweeping statements and policy decisions based on the 0.0001% of the population.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
You're also creating scenarios with "high value" something or other...basically, talking out of both sides of your ass as the situation fits to get the (maybe imaginary) result you want. It's a good tactic except when you talk to people that are not idiots.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can take my home, my cars, my cash, my stocks, and even the clothes on my back, but you can never take my education.
Didn't you go to Baylor? Where would they even start looking?

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At this point I'm wondering what JT thinks about California's prestigious prison guard university.

I also find this entire conversation to be a bit odd. If you want to sell used Toyotas, you shouldn't go to college. I don't know if I learned that the hard way, by going to college, or the easy way, by understanding that selling used Toyotas doesn't require any education. None of the jobs JT mentioned sound appealing to me. I can't think of anyone I've ever met where I've thought - man I wish I didn't go to college so I could do that job.

But I do think it's pretty obvious that college isn't for everyone. I have a number of family members (all inlaws) that didn't go to college. All of them have ****** jobs. In fact, everyone in my family who went to college has a better job than every single person in my family that didn't go to college. That's true by the way even if you just look at the families where one or two siblings went to college and the rest didn't. In each case, you could rank the siblings based on whether the y went to college. That's just one family but if we're swapping anecdotes, that's mine.

I made a joke about the soft bigotry of low expectations recently in this thread, but as a parent I can't think of anything less aspirational than hoping my kids don't go to college so that they can do job that they don't care about just to get by in life after having done a utilitarian cost-benefit analysis vs the cost of college. It reminds me of a friend of mine who purchased all food based on the highest calories per dollar, whether from a vending machine in the library, the grocery store, or restaurants we ate at.

I want my kids to be lifelong learners. I want them to want to go to college. I want them to enjoy the experience like I did. Post-secondary education was one of the best periods in my life and I would hope that my kids have their own version of that, whatever it means to them. The people I know who hated school tend to be miserable people and would have been unhappy no matter what. I don't think everyone should be pushed to go to college but let's not pretend that not going to college is something to aspire to.

Joytropics

Reaction score
LOL at thinking "I want my kids to be lifelong learners." is the same as "I want them to want to go to college."

Look, I know that most of the people in this thread went to school in the 50s or whatever, but the era of paying for your tuition as a soda jerk down at the pharmacy... driving your Model T to the sock hop... and necking with your best gal at the homecoming game is over.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't you go to Baylor? Where would they even start looking?

BlackDefensiveCat-size_restricted.gif

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL at thinking "I want my kids to be lifelong learners." is the same as "I want them to want to go to college."

Look, I know that most of the people in this thread went to school in the 50s or whatever, but the era of paying for your tuition as a soda jerk down at the pharmacy... driving your Model T to the sock hop... and necking with your best gal at the homecoming game is over.

tumblr_f6fc23360a95c9c647b3e3185d5aa503_5a8ce25e_400.gif

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

LOL at thinking that listening to Joe Rogan podcasts while selling used Toyotas is aspirational.

wklq76a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No shortage of millennials would think you’re full of it, too. The situation’s more nuanced than you’re framing it.

Joytropics

Reaction score
It's not that nuanced. The value of college is plummeting as the cost soars. The though of dumping my life-savings into a 529 so a bloated administrative staff can hector my kids about insane but politically-fashionable ideas makes me feel sick.

But I get that Styleforum is mostly lawyers, bankers and academics, aka the terminally overeducated. After all who else has the time and money to goof off here all day?

I realize I'm not changing any of your minds. But I do think I can have an impact on some of the visitors from Google or the many people who read without commenting.

Also isn't an echo chamber boring? I'd think you'd want a little populism just to keep things from getting stale.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's not that nuanced. The value of college is plummeting as the cost soars. The though of dumping my life-savings into a 529 so a bloated administrative staff can hector my kids about insane but politically-fashionable ideas makes me feel sick.

But I get that Styleforum is mostly lawyers, bankers and academics, aka the terminally overeducated. After all who else has the time and money to goof off here all day?

I realize I'm not changing any of your minds. But I do think I can have an impact on some of the visitors from Google or the many people who read without commenting.

Also isn't an echo chamber boring? I'd think you'd want a little populism just to keep things from getting stale.
You’ve brought zero facts. Your only proof so far was anecdotal. Why would we be persuaded?

Also, no one here is saying you need to attend a $60k/year institution.
Resident tuition for UW is currently 11k/year, UCLA is 12k/year, Michigan is 10k/year.

Last edited:

brokencycle

Reaction score
You’ve brought zero facts. Your only proof so far was anecdotal. Why would we be persuaded?

Also, no one here is saying you need to attend a $60k/year institution.
Resident tuition for UW is currently 11k/year, UCLA is 12k/year, Michigan is 10k/year.

I went to UW - Madison. I had some scholarships and grants, so my total cost was lower than list price. I graduated in 2009, but it was about $12k/year with room & board (tuition was ~$6k), so JT is right that the cost is going up, but he only has a grain of truth. All the data shows that a college degree value is increasing. It is becoming increasingly difficult to have a high income without a college education.

1597192612721.png

1597192631664.png

1597192657709.png

I don't know what you're talking about. I went to the UW - Madison, colloquially the Berkley of the Midwest, and I was never "hectored about politically-fashionable ideas." I got an engineering degree and then a job as an engineer in a time with record unemployment. I even took some fun classes outside of my academic focus. I don't think I even talked to an 'administrator' outside of the housing department when I was paying my housing bill each semester or the registrar's office to apply for graduation.

What a terrible world view that one can be over-educated. An education is a gift that lasts a lifetime. Also hilariously ironic that you're complaining about how people would be just fine not going to college, but all these overeducated folks are making more than the Toyota sales guy while spending their days goofing off on the internet.

You're not changing minds because you suck at arguing. You have provided zero evidence except for a few anecdotes that we can't even confirm or deny. It has nothing to do with populism.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads