• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Lulz. I guess one doesn't need to go to university to learn to cherry pick (or just ******* make up) a few anecdotes to be able to declare what the state of reality is.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So I'm about 1/3 in cash. I know I need to trim down to just a year's worth of expenses and get the rest into the market but I just can't make myself do it. I keep telling myself I need to see who wins on Nov 3. Is anyone else feeling they're too heavy in cash and afraid to deploy it?
Somewhat in the same boat. my non-401k stuff is 30% cash at the moment and I’m thinking of increasing it further. My 401k is all equities still, but I’m not going to accessing that for a couple of decades.

but I don’t feel I’m overweight in cash. Our economic fundamentals are just too much to ignore. Even if Trump wins in November I can’t see how he’d be able to prop up the market long-term.

Joytropics

Reaction score
Per the asset allocation discussion:

If you think that fundamentals are sketchy as hell (and I do) isn’t holding $USD suspect as well?

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am 45/35/20 US/Outside US/Bonds. I want to act like I know what I'm doing but it is all just a guess. I figure in the market is better than out of the market in the long run so I should be fine when I decide to get out of the spreadsheets.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well I don’t want to dox myself, but that’s my exact situation.

Heres the jobs of some people I know or have met in the same situation though:

Commissioned phone sales for high ticket items
Owner of a small carpet-cleaning company
Co-owner of a small IT firm
House-flipper in working-class coastal town
Salesman at a Toyota dealership

I deliberately talk to “blue collar millionaires” because that’s along the lines of my career goals and interests.

FWIW I’m probably younger than most people on this thread (younger side of millenial) and so of course my worldview won’t make sense for people who have been in their career for decades.
Don’t think people were saying it’s not possible, just that it’s unlikely.

Odds of making $100k+ with no college vs with college degree? Cmon you can’t argue that

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Joytropics

Reaction score
Ok Boomer.

If you could give me a high status group of 18 year olds, send half to college and half not, I'd for sure bet on the half that didn't go (a la the Thiel fellowship.)

I'd also bet that the world will start to look more and more like this.

But right now, the majority of high status people who would make six figures regardless still go to college, even though I don't believe the college education plays much of a role in this.

Joytropics

Reaction score
Who needs college when you can learn everything you need to know about the workplace from books?
The Suit.png

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
What is "high status" in your special jargon and have you not automatically invalidated any comparison between that sample universe and the universe the BLS stats deal in? (That last was rhetorical as of course you've just invalidated any comparison.)

Joytropics

Reaction score
Most intuitive definitions probably work.

I’d call it coming from a 2 parent household that earns 6 figures a year.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Well, right there they are nothing like the majority of college attendees, so your comment is pretty much meaningless. Both of your sub-groups are likely to meet with success at far higher rates than the general populace.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If colleges were stocks, which ones are you shorting in this Pandemic? Do commuter schools have a better chance at survival than certain liberal arts schools?

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, right there they are nothing like the majority of college attendees, so your comment is pretty much meaningless. Both of your sub-groups are likely to meet with success at far higher rates than the general populace.
I think he’s going for the ‘daddy got me a job at his company’ demographic. Where it doesn’t matter what you know, as long as it’s who you know.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics