• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One of the benefits of being a salaryman at a Fortune 50 is that i never have to worry about being in either situation

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think if I play things just right, I could potentially get to a place in my career where I will have missed a big opportunity to cash in.

In all seriousness though, I like to think by failing to grab that brass ring I'm slightly reducing the chances my kids turn out awful.

PS. I've narrowed HRoi's employer down to Cigna or MetLife. Maybe Centene.

Last edited:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can I borrow 4 figures? It’s not a lot compared to the 8 you neither gained or lost. I’ll pay you back in SF likes.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cash in and hire everyone in the family their own therapist. This is the SF way.

It's definitely going to be a growth industry after what this country has been through the past few years. That said, I prefer to wallow in the soft bigotry of my own low expectations.

Can I borrow 4 figures? It’s not a lot compared to the 8 you neither gained or lost. I’ll pay you back in SF likes.

My kids may have some action figures to spare. All my cash is currently tied up in paying a nanny to watch them go to private school via zoom.

Which reminds me of something funny I heard. My friend's public elementary school is going to be remote. But the district has an "aftercare" program which you can pay $2k per month to have people monitor your kids and help them with their remote sessions and school work. And the "aftercare" is during school hours ... at the public school. So you pay $2k per month to send your kids to their public school where they will attend school remotely, surrounded by other kids. American exceptionalism!

Last edited:

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dollar dollar bill y'all.

Last edited:

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a reminder that we are all utter plebs.

One pain point for today’s wealthy, says New York Observer columnist Richard Kirshenbaum, author of Isn’t That Rich? Life Among the 1%, is other people with money. “I call it billionaire buzzkill,” he says. “Basically, millionaires have been depositioned by a small group of extremely wealthy people, and they now feel inadequate. The billionaires are ruining the fun for everyone else.”

Wendy Sarasohn hears it all the time: “It’s classic. Anyone who has it all will always name someone who has more.”

Given the above considerations, what figure do our experts arrive at? “The number that pops into my head is $100 million,” Sarasohn says. “My daughter [Jamie Sarasohn Joseph, also a broker at Brown Harris Stevens] says $50 million, but I think that’s because she’s still young.”

Kirshenbaum defers to the subjects of his columns. “I want to make clear that this is not my opinion but that of the billionaires I have written about. They view $100 million as the starting point for real money. They call it a hundy. Like, ‘Oh, they made it, they have a hundy.’”

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
:(

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
So I'm about 1/3 in cash. I know I need to trim down to just a year's worth of expenses and get the rest into the market but I just can't make myself do it. I keep telling myself I need to see who wins on Nov 3. Is anyone else feeling they're too heavy in cash and afraid to deploy it?

Joytropics

Reaction score
Why it’s still worth paying for college.

View attachment 1437868

This mindset is a disaster.

1. It’s correlation not causation. Wealthy high status people are more likely to go to college, and more likely to be employed. But the two aren’t necessarily related.

2. It reflects legacy jobs, sinecures and positions held by aging boomers who entered the workplace 50 years ago. That job market has very little to do with our current job market, and will have almost nothing to do with the future job market.

Im proud to say I’m not saving a single penny to send kids to college. I can’t think of a worse thing to do with my money than a 529.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads