• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

msg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah. Seems like both MM and savings accounts are topping out at 1%. I know people will stack (may be mid remembering the term) CDs but for my time horizon seems like extra hassle.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you’re able to put away 100k per year for a down payment, why don’t you just buy now and pay PMI for a coupe years?

msg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you’re able to put away 100k per year for a down payment, why don’t you just buy now and pay PMI for a coupe years?

I dislike debt. I am targeting a down payment 25% - 30% of my expected purchase price. I am assuming I can save faster than home prices rise. That may be optimistic. I can’t predict mortgage rates.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
RL has a point. Interest rates are really low right now, and if you dislike debt, not much difference between disliking a 90% vs. 75% LTV.

msg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RL has a point. Interest rates are really low right now, and if you dislike debt, not much difference between disliking a 90% vs. 75% LTV.

Yes, 75% LTV is the low end. But if I can push the down payment to >30% then I feel less risk. Maybe 40 - 50% down. Maybe that’s optimistic. I’m assuming a home between 1.5M - 2M. I don’t have a good sense on how to model future dollars vs current cash. But the more I push the monthly payment down, the less risk exposure. I think? I realize mortgage rates are absurdly low. Haven’t seen rates like this since Nero was in charge.

Would love to have a different way to evaluate this.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Yes, 75% LTV is the low end. But if I can push the down payment to >30% then I feel less risk. Maybe 40 - 50% down. Maybe that’s optimistic. I’m assuming a home between 1.5M - 2M. I don’t have a good sense on how to model future dollars vs current cash. But the more I push the monthly payment down, the less risk exposure. I think? I realize mortgage rates are absurdly low. Haven’t seen rates like this since Nero was in charge.

And what happens if these low interest rates keep pushing house prices up?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

Also, while I don’t know msg’s situation, waiting and saving mitigates the risk of some unexpected event in the reasonably near term disrupting income/cash flow expectations. I mean, I know COVID is just going to disappear any day now, but until that happens it’s definitely making some industries a bit less predictable. Having your savings goal be a stretch is generally less stressful than having your housing payment be a stretch.
I’m drunk, so factor that in if relying on my analysis for major life decisions.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It would be less risky to buy sooner, and keep a larger cash reserve than save longer and have a marginally smaller payment

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Raising cash for a home down payment. Time horizon is ~2 - 3 years. I have a ~$100k in cash and I expect to add another $100k per year. I’m risk averse because this is down payment money. Is there any better interest option than a 1.00% money market account? The time horizon is short. But curious if there’s something I should consider.

So you have 100k, and in two years could have a total of 300k. Take your lower number of $1.5 and you've 80% LTV. Or go three years out, you'll have 400k and take your top number of $2 mil for an LTV of 80%. Do now with your low number and you're about 94% LTV. Delta of 14% LTV.

You currently pay rent, yes? There's your PMI and more. Want to avoid risk? You avoid property values outpacing your savings and you avoid not locking in these interest rates. How much risk is a delta of 14% LTV going to alleviate?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very legal and very cool.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having a weird day. A friend of mine is pulling his hair out over leaving his former employer behind less than a year before they announced an exit at a value that would have earned him eight figures. Another friend is at a company rumored to go public by SPAC that will net him eight figures less than 18 months after he joined. I guess I'm right in between, having neither lost nor gained 8 figures.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I've spent 8 figures. Of course, the bank seems to want it back, but that's another story.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads