• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So should we be selling all equities off at this point? Asking for a friend.
"As long as the Fed's long, we're long!" -- My Wall St. college buddy.

stimulacra

Reaction score
AAPL and MSFT has pretty much become my two largest single holdings and positions, accounting for 20% of my portfolio.

Not sure what to do. I wouldn't buy them today necessarily but think they still have plenty of room to go, and in this current climate they are one of the few businesses that are thriving.

GOOG and DIS on the other hand has been pretty meh.

I've been fortunate that other than rebalancing and new inflows into index funds I have not made any major moves since Jan of this year. My YTD is pretty much a sharp V-shape trending up.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone do the rocket mortgage IPO? 20% pop day one. Seems like it has some major upside

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I reallocated my REITs into International and also my S&P position is getting outsized again due to the recovery. No need to rebalance currently but if this run continues up another 10%, everything will be wonky.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why it’s still worth paying for college.

1596899238708.png

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My company is offer an ESPP now. The discount is 15% off the lower of beginning or end of period price and capped at a share number or total $ amount. The downsides outweigh the upsides in my opinion as I have a narrow trading window due to my role and also I would only hold short term due to the company. I am not part of a huge growth company so holding long term is not something I want to do.

My company stock plan is structured differently and has different tax implications. We get an 11% match. So you buy $100 the company throws in an extra $11. The issue is that $11 is considered income and taxed accordingly in your paycheck. My company however pays a pretty good dividend which is nice, but the 11% match also applies to reinvested dividends. It’s aggravating to try and calculate and every quarter more taxes come out of your paycheck to cover dividend reinvestment match income. Then when you sell you pay capital gains.

Our orders are executed the same day as your paycheck is processed so that’s good and if you call in an ad hoc order it is also processed the same day. We can set limit orders as well. The kicker is we have to hold shares for a year before selling, which sucks for many reasons, but mainly because if you buy on a monthly basis when you want to liquidate you have to do it at lower amounts each month on their anniversary (dividend match complicates it further). We can liquidate shares earlier but you would be barred from adding to the plan for a year as a penalty. Also only $25k per year can be put into it.

I am also an insider, however if we set a monthly election it is fine, but we can’t ad hoc buy or sell during certain windows or change the election.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Can Jonas buy based off your insider tips?

msg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Raising cash for a home down payment. Time horizon is ~2 - 3 years. I have a ~$100k in cash and I expect to add another $100k per year. I’m risk averse because this is down payment money. Is there any better interest option than a 1.00% money market account? The time horizon is short. But curious if there’s something I should consider.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Crypto!!

no but seriously that’s the same question I asked earlier. Haven’t found anything I see as low risk as a money market or high yield savings account.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best I can find is in the 1% range for rates. Even longer dated CDs aren’t much more for the hassle

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads