• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fairly plausible argument.

Interesting, but if so why are international stocks lagging? Vanguard's ex-US fund is down 7.5% YTD.

Also, ugh, when it looked like things were going to be extra irrationally exuberant this morning I trimmed one of my positions, but just realized that wasn't going to be the case and it will likely close lower than it opened (it doesn't settle until after close so I am stuck with whatever happens). The position is an actively managed fund that I originally bought in taxable and then realized far too late that it's much better suited to tax-deferred. In January I rebought it in tax-deferred but needed to wait 30 days to sell it from taxable. I think we all know how that went. I had my first sale from taxable in April when the fund had rebounded from the bottom but it was still down double digits. I've been trickling it out the last few weeks and hoping to get back close to even from the whole debacle when all is said and done but who knows.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fairly plausible argument.

i prefer the *Fed* explanation to tech.

your author points to 50/50 revenue domestic vs international tech subscriptions. a successful movie release will realize maybe 2:1 overseas/domestic. there should be way more headroom on population alone and i would suspect that if international is a meaningful revenue source this is actually underperforming.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Took some more profits from my buys on lows and plowed them straight into boring old FBNDX. We're staying conservative until the fall.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Took some more profits from my buys on lows and plowed them straight into boring old FBNDX. We're staying conservative until the fall.

My in-laws are taking a similar path after a weekend discussion. They tend to point to the election as well and how that will affect things moving forward. COVID throws a wrench into all of it though.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Part of "the fall" is also thinking the economy has to get faced at some point and it's not now...so maybe then?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Money is coming out of everything else to go into the largest cap stocks.

IMG_743B043DB000-1.jpeg

stimulacra

Reaction score
AAPL and MSFT have now become my two largest individual holdings from what was initially play money several years back. My corporate bond fund is a distant third.

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AAPL and MSFT have now become my two largest individual holdings from what was initially play money several years back. My corporate bond fund is a distant third.

No playa here, mostly boring buy & hold guy. Didn't hold AAPL though (or AMZN, which didn't seem like it would ever be profitable at the time...). Holding MSFT since '98 tho which has more than made up for a few dogs.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Guccinski L.V.

Reaction score
I am a bit scared. The sound of Covid-bubble popped will be louder than atomic bomb and will take quite a few heads off.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics