• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Market is booming today on news of people not being able to pay rent, eat, or stay out past 8pm due to curfews.
You gotta remember, poor people aren't "real" in the mind of the market. If bankers were losing their jobs, this would be a different story

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or the largest one month job gains ever.

but thats easy after the worst jobs loss ever.

Apparently that wasn't priced in.

It's interesting how optimistic the market has been. It pops on good news and "prices in" the eventual reversal of bad news. If a job gain like this wasn't priced in, why did the market rebound in April and May?

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've still got my Cheshire grin over my SPY purchase and 50% of the profits sold off and into a nice, tame bond fund. Not gonna lie, easily the single biggest buy of my life and my nuts felt down around my ankles when that limit order was filled.
Good on you. I'm still further in the red than I've ever list publicly, but I'm still doing pretty darn well, in the grand scheme of things...riding the long term wave at this point.

Guccinski L.V.

Reaction score
I don't understand this: 2,5 million jobs added in May but 18million jobs are lost. What is here to celebrate? Is it 15,5 million jobs lost in May that we cheering on?
I know little about intricacies of market but it appears to me that we are watching mass delusion or psychos brought on by incredible World Wide economic shut down and continuing pandemic exacerbated by riots. I thought US will be under Martial law due to first two factors but I never saw BLM coming out again (albeit one could have predicted that already desperate and exhausted by locked down population would only need a small spark to turn to the streets).
My amateur conclusion: Since market makers and traders have never lived through anything like this they don't know how to react and what we seeing right now happening with NYSE is a sign of clinical psychosis. I predict WS traders would start jumping out of windows before the year is over. Real market crash that is coming will be horrible.

Last edited:

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't understand this: 2,5 million jobs added in May but 18million jobs are lost. What is here to celebrate? Is it 15,5 million jobs lost in May that we cheering on?
I know little about intricacies of market but it appears to me that we are watching mass delusion or psychos brought on by incredible World Wide economic shut down and continuing pandemic exacerbated by riots. I thought US will be under Martial law due to first two factors but I never saw BLM coming out again (albeit one could have predicted that already desperate and exhausted by locked down population would only need a small spark to turn to the streets).
My amateur conclusion: Since market makers and traders have never lived through anything like this they don't know how to react and what we seeing right now happening with NYSE is a sign of clinical psychosis. I predict WS traders would start jumping out of windows before the year is over. Real market crash that is coming will be horrible.

Numbers were juiced.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
If the market stays absolutely flat the rest of the year, and we keep up with our scheduled savings, we'll crack another round number barrier.

♪ ♫♫ FIRE ♪♪ here we come! ♫♫♪

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m no expert (duh) but isnt the market responding to the fact that all the small timers and mom and pops that they had to compete with are now gone and out of the way? Now sales are back and competition is out of the way.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I suspect part of this is Fauci stating it looks like we'll have a viable vaccine before year end and that production is ready for 100s of millions of doses. If that should fall through I'd expect an immediate correction of at least 10%.

Guccinski L.V.

Reaction score
Regarding unemployment in US:
Again this is my dumb calculus: in February 2019 official US gov. unemployment was at 3.7% which accounted for 5,8 million out of work Americans.
Since February total job losses amount to roughly 40 million people not counting 8 million emergency pandemic assistance applications filed by unemployed individuals. So if we take February 5.8 million as a base subtract 2.5million gained in May and add 40 million lost over past 10 weeks we will get approximate current number of out of work Americans = 43.3 millions. Take (43.3 mill / 5.8 mill) x 3.7% = 27.6% current unemployment rate in US (give or take).

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Summing initial jobless claims then trying to derive an unemployment rate is inaccurate. I think you need to look at continuing jobless claims.

As for a vaccine, it has to be manufactured and in this case the whole world wants a dose. I'd think it would take a long period of time to dose everyone...something like 6 months - 1 year minimum. People who wanted the Shingles vaccine had to wait like 6 months because they couldn't make enough but that wasn't a pandemic but people seem to miss that. It is not a snap of the fingures.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads