• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Peloton is up though. Cause what else are we going to do when quarantined at home for a month?

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you want to be freaked out by pharma, read the book 'Bottle of Lies' by Eban. Makes you question ever buying generics.
Or just take a lot of probiotics? I’m actually curious though about buying generics. I’ve never been on meds fwiw but not sure how long that will be as I age..

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or just take a lot of probiotics? I’m actually curious though about buying generics. I’ve never been on meds fwiw but not sure how long that will be as I age..

The generics were related to outright fraud in the generic manufacturers in India. While the book focused on one in particular, it is not isolated to just that one or India as China is known to do the same thing. If you are on a maintenance medication or an ongoing generic where you life could be at risk, it is worth paying up and buying from a pharmacy that tests each batch of the medication they receive in the US.

I have moved back to only buying OTC meds from the manufacturers and in the cases where it is an extended dose, purchase from mail order when possible.

Below is a link to a guide that you can read up on.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a personal experience with generics that was not fun. My insurance company did not want to pay for a name brand med that I take regularly anymore because a generic version was available. Everybody says they are the same thing. Well, in some cases they most certainly are not. When you need a medication to literally function in the world the true nature of the drug will rear its head if not working properly. A long story short I had to trial and error a few different labs that made the generic, which was a struggle because some pharmacies didn't want to carry it if only one patient needed it.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks, need to read about this some more. Health is wealth!

I had headaches before, never took anything. Maybe an Advil at most. I blame a bad nights rest of just poor posture sitting at my desk all day. IMO this is what the gym is for too, strengthen physical weaknesses that contribute to health problems.

i take a daily multivitamin and probiotics nowadays, when feeling down. ??

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to turn this into a health discussion (maybe you can invest in pharma companies?) but this set of stats has blown my mind recently:

1 in 2 Americans are pre-diabetic or diabetic
75% of insulin is purchased for Type-2 diabetics
33% of Medicare D spending is on insulin (https://www.kff.org/medicare/issue-brief/how-much-does-medicare-spend-on-insulin/)

Type-2 diabetes can be maintained with diet and exercise alone. Similarly individuals can invest for retirement and choose not to. We have an issue with motivation for a large majority of the population....

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thankfully, there are some people innovating in the care space. This is a VC-backed company getting outstanding results with lifestyle modification and real-time monitoring.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thankfully, there are some people innovating in the care space. This is a VC-backed company getting outstanding results with lifestyle modification and real-time monitoring.

Did you invest our Initiative Q money into this?

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
always fascinating to read public sentiment about generics. perhaps it's well known by now but anyway, the Office of Generic Drugs does receive most if not all of its funding through the GDUFA initiative which, in essence, is a fee collected from industry (those meant to be regulated) by the regulatory office, in exchange for guarantees such as 10-week response times. Note that prior to the act, response times were wildly variable and some cases dragged on for 13 years before granting a response.

The obvious conflicts of interest aside, there are some other issues with generics, such as the first-to-file exclusivity benefit (raising the question of whether its first to file any paperwork, period, or first to file successfully and receive approval?), and one particular story from a while back where an Indian firm submitted their results for a generic product that were so extremely similar to the brand name that a further investigation took place and uncovered the truth -- they had just taken the brand name, stuck it in a gel capsule, and conducted the experiments.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Threw some money into the kids 529 plans with the down days. Not much and not going to move the needle but made me feel like I got a discount for the long-term.

dhoff10

Reaction score
I think this is the week that the markets get religion around the coronavirus outbreak and we see the start of a sustained downtrend. It’s going to be ugly.
Great call here @Omega Male . I believe you posted this before futures opened up.

The CDC finally commented on what seemed to me to be screaming from the data. The coronavirus looks to have exaggerated seasonality. Hoping sunshine puts an end to this thing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads