• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There’s really no good information. We know the data coming out of China is probably understated, for both political and practical reasons (They can only manufacture around 2000 test kits a day and, coincidentally, that’s exactly where infection rates have leveled off.) US models have it peaking in China in mid-March and Summer for the rest of the world, so there’s still a fair way to go.

dhoff10

Reaction score
There’s really no good information. We know the data coming out of China is probably understated, for both political and practical reasons (They can only manufacture around 2000 test kits a day and, coincidentally, that’s exactly where infection rates have leveled off.) US models have it peaking in China in mid-March and Summer for the rest of the world, so there’s still a fair way to go.
With the long latency (10-14 days before symptoms show) I think the big unknown is how contagious it is during that period. China indicated it is contagious, but data outside of Wuhan both inside and outside of China suggests it's at least less contagious. But the further we get from the Wuhan quarantine without it going exponential outside of Wuhan is good news.

Things that scare me are reports like this where US health officials say they are telling people they don't need to be screened for the Coronavirus if they haven't been to China. It could mean the only reason our counts haven't been increasing faster is because we refuse see the new cases.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There have been a couple of good pieces on Marginal Revolution, Tyler Cowan's blog, about this:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It is hurtful to demand $10,000 or else all chores shall be withdrawn until further notice. But where money is concerned people do the zaniest things. They won’t lift a finger for your husband’s parents without putting it on their tab. What a way to live! I have received letters from people who charge their parents for driving them to the grocery store or doctor’s appointments. There’s usually a clear line between being there for the people who raised you, and becoming a full- or even part-time care giver. A family meeting might help to air these issues, and address any imbalance or lingering ill-will.

:(

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Reading that all I can think is, "I hope you took an in-kind deduction for steeply discounted and free hours."

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reading that all I can think is, "I hope you took an in-kind deduction for steeply discounted and free hours."
There were a lot of things wrong with that. For people who boast about how much money they make, why the hell do they care what their siblings are getting? Jealous much? I don't know, that just bothered me. Cutting out help for parents is another thing that bothered me about the article.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Parents also strike me as being enablers of the other siblings. Of course, we're only hearing her side, so who knows what is really going on?

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like Bed Bath and Beyond may soon be visiting the latter destination.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The market closed down, isn't that illegal?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I've made the decision that by year end I'm trimming cash drastically and putting the rest of our reserves into the market. I think Imma wait until the fall and see what happens over the summer and into the elections. I'm thinking 50/50 allocation between a bond fund or ETF and good old SPY.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads