• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My employer as awarded me RSUs. If I understand correctly, I pay ordinary income tax on the value at vesting, right? Then I also have to pay capital gains on sale which will be ordinary income rates because I'm selling in less than a year.
You pay ordinary income tax at vesting, pay ordinary income tax if selling before a year on the difference between selling and vesting, and you pay capital gains tax on the difference if selling after more than a year.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was heading out of town on a train to attend a funeral yesterday and I forgot my headphones. I went into the train station bookstore and randomly picked up Stephen Schwarzman's book. I got about a third of the way through and it is very good. I never would have picked it up otherwise, but the guy has had an interesting life and career.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So I opened a CIT Bank savings account and I kind of hate it. The interface is terrible and whenever I transfer funds into it it doesn't show them for a long time. It is odd.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Marcus is pretty quick for transfers and the interface is simple. My normal bank, Regions, sucks.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just converted all of my capital one 360 savings accounts (formerly ING Direct) to 360 performance savings accounts.

Beyond annoying that I had to switch each account individually (which also means that any external ACH links I had set up at other banks are now broken), but that puts me back at 1.7% and I don't actually have to change banks.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had my Roth IRA with them back in the day when I would try trading individual names.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not even Bat Soup Fever can dent the Dow. We haven't had a 1% down day for 15 weeks, "cash is trash" and that hedge fund dude says boom/bust cycles are permanently a thing of the past. Hmm.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I just converted all of my capital one 360 savings accounts (formerly ING Direct) to 360 performance savings accounts.

Beyond annoying that I had to switch each account individually (which also means that any external ACH links I had set up at other banks are now broken), but that puts me back at 1.7% and I don't actually have to change banks.

They did that to me too. It took me a few months to figure out why my interest rate was so low, they kind of tucked up that transition and really should make us whole.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
So I opened a CIT Bank savings account and I kind of hate it. The interface is terrible and whenever I transfer funds into it it doesn't show them for a long time. It is odd.

Yeah, I agree with that, however the rates seem really good. I'm getting ready to transfer out 50k for a brokerage account and I'll let you know how that goes.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The rates are good, but the problem is good rates on chicken feed, is still, sadly, chicken feed.

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do you guys fidget with your money so much? We have an unprecedented stock market happening right now, just ride it while it lasts. I get people need multiple accounts and such but some of you guys seem like you are at it every other day.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Hey, I got shamed into opening my CIT account for my emergency cash stash. First new bank account in 20 years. As to riding the stock market while it lasts...can you give me that exit date so I don't have to hedge with bonds, cash, etc? ;)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads