1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by mikeman, Feb 2, 2011.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

I welcome market declines at my age.

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

You and UnF are not wrong but I'll need a crazy bull when it comes time for me to start liquidating and pivoting over to some interest/dividend type stuff one day.

3. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Stylish Dinosaur

Still painful though

4. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Distinguished Member

Starting to get decent traction in my job search. Should be able to tease out any offers to beyond when my year end bonus is paid at the end of the month, which is nice.

Assuming I do leave, still have to figure out whether I can get extended exercise for my current company stock options or if I can finance my option exercise. I’m in a bit of a precarious position given statements I’ve made to the CEO in the past combined with how my resignation will be perceived. I have a decent slug of equity so would be a shame to have to walk away from it entirely.

Has anyone had a good experience with one of the funds who financed stock option exercise (like ESO Fund)?

5. Omega Male

Omega Male Senior Member

Sounds like you need a lawyer. ;)

Sorry I got nothing but banter.

6. jbarwick

jbarwick Distinguished Member

They're called golden handcuffs for a reason.

7. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Stylish Dinosaur

Unless you're at the intersection of bdsm and water sports, in which case it's an entirely different reason.

8. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Stylish Dinosaur

I thought they were fluffy handcuffs

9. UnFacconable

I think golden handcuffs generally refers to incentives that you earn over a period of time. I'm just talking about the finances of paying for my exercise of already vested options, so the handcuffs are more of a secondary consequence.

I spoke with a potential funding source for my exercise and wow the economics are horrible. They take a substantial percentage of the entire exit amount in addition to their initial loan. so in rough numbers, if I have to spend $10 to exercise now and my stock is worth $20 in an exit, they take $6-8 out of the total and then they take back their $10. I was thinking they take back their $10 and then get like $2 out of the remainder. Obviously these aren't real numbers since my stock is worth more like $27 but wanted to make the math simpler for you knuckledraggers.

I understand where they are coming from since it's basically a zero recourse loan but this only seems like it's worth doing as a last resort. I guess that's what I get for talking to a loan shark.

10. brokencycle

brokencycle Stylish Dinosaur Moderator

I hate when the math is easy.

11. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Stylish Dinosaur

And even more specifically to incentives that have a delayed vesting date so that if you leave you’re forfeiting incentives awarded for past years of service but don’t vest for, say, several years.

12. Omega Male

Omega Male Senior Member

That's nuts. Is cashless exercise an option?

13. UnFacconable

No on cashless exercise. My goal is to extend exercise for a few years and hpe the company exits during that period.

It is definitely coloring my requirements for the next gig. Either public company, late stage unicorn with RSUs or early stage company with low strike price and early exercise. Extended post-employment exercise cures a lot of ills though and could make other opportunities work too

14. brokencycle

brokencycle Stylish Dinosaur Moderator

Can you hook me up with a sweet gig though?

15. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

How confident are you in a successful exit?