Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by mikeman, Feb 2, 2011.

1. javyn

javyn Senior member

Anyone read Apple's patent app for wireless charging?

2. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

Nope, what did it say?

3. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

4. javyn

javyn Senior member

That article provided a pretty good summary, hell, wireless charging....should summarize itself.

If you want me to look at it, and give my worthless opinion, I will, but later, not now.

I have 16 patent apps to go through for work right now.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012

5. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

I read it. Its a good innovation if/when it goes mainstream. Javyn, I know you're not really working on anything so read all 16 of those patent apps and summarize them for the group. Your summary should include a tiered chart ranking the apps. I'm going to need that by 4:00pm. Thanks.

6. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

"the research comes from the field of midrange wireless power transfer physics. Near field magnetic resonance is used to power devices within 1 meter of the power base. Without a mat or extra case"

7. javyn

javyn Senior member

Ahhh I'm on bitch duty, not reading them but printing them, making copies, scans, etc etc. Gotta get ready for a theft of trade secrets gig coming up on Monday. Fun fun. But in 2 mintues I'll be away from the PC for the remainder of the day

8. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

You work for the patent office?

9. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

More importantly, Javyn works??

10. javyn

javyn Senior member

Hah! Of the 16 apps, all but 4 were provisionals. Task done w00t.

I work for an IP law firm as a legal assistant.

Me no smart enough to work for the USPTO

11. CYstyle

CYstyle Senior member

yes. When I talk to people about this they look at me like i'm a retard. For every good google project, there's 1000 money draining idiotic ones. They want to everything, and have the means to make alot of their projects great, but I feel like they operate like a Kid with ADHD. So many projects have potential but then they get distracted by other new projects and then end up half-assing a lot of things.

I think they make work life too comfortable for their employees. So in Taiwan, they hold like a competition for beef noodle soup, and the winner came to the US to do a tour or some shit, and served lunch for the google employees. The guy planned on 800 bowls to be served at like 12:30-1pmish, By 10:30am there was a huge line waiting, they ended up making 1200 bowls before running out.

With the average google software engineer salary at 130k+, x 3ish hours to get food and eat it x 1200 employees. Plus think of the cost of running 23 cafeterias. The man power of all the cooks/cleaning people + food and beverage cost. Then what happens is employees meet up with friends and coworkers for lunch, they waste time deciding which to eat at, leisurely walk their asses there enjoy lunch, walk back then get back to work.

they still have a massive amounts of cash/revenue/dominance and will be around for years to come, but I not so much as a growth stock imo

12. CYstyle

CYstyle Senior member

I feel like people are hitting that crack pipe too hard. AAPL at 1000$, assuming no splits etc. would mean the company would have a market cap of nearly 1 trillion $. -_-

13. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Your number is not an exaggeration, the company would have to be worth almost a trillion to trade at $1000 with its current PE. That said, its probably going to be the first company in history to reach it but that's a long way away. Forget that lofty bullshit and just pay us a dividend.

GOOG, at their current rate, will never get there. A company needs focus and they dont have it. Tons of money is being squandered. Your story in the other post is a drop in the bucket. Look at the millions being tossed at projects that get scrapped, its insane. You need ideas to succeed but too many are making it to showtime.

Also, GOOG is starting to suffer a bit from the MSFT disease of following instead of leading. MSFT almost never innovates anything, they just sputter along copying ideas so they have an offering. Search, mobile, to an extent gaming (although successful), music player, on and on. I find it funny to see MSFT being pumped as a buy, you fucking kidding me? I held that shit for years and hardly made anything. I think I bought at 22 and sold at 26 after holding 2 years, it spent the next 7 below 30. Gimme a fucking break, MSFT is mired.

14. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Missed on the BCOV. Put an order in before it started trading for $12.15 and it opened over $14. Too high. Not chasing that level on a company that gens 60m in annual revenue.