1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by mikeman, Feb 2, 2011.

1. stimulacra

stimulacra Senior Member

lol, I saw there was a 25% bounce this week… figured there was more to the story.

This thread did talk me out of getting into APRN about a year or so ago ;)

2. Texasmade

Texasmade Distinguished Member

Can't argue against the Doritos Locos Tacos or KFC Double Down,

3. jbarwick

jbarwick Distinguished Member

For all the publicity TWTR gets they have a lousy business model. They have a base that is steady yet they still rely on ads. I don't think I would pay for a premium TWTR but I do pay for premium podcasts.

4. brokencycle

brokencycle Stylish Dinosaur Moderator

I'd pay to never see a tweet again.

5. jbarwick

Who here has experience with HSA's and wants to comment? I have an HSA with a balance of like $1500 and have a procedure coming up. I added more to my HSA to cover this procedure but I am thinking to just pay it out of pocket instead. I honestly don't look at this account like an investment vehicle but I guess I should. Paging @Piobaire as I know he has mentioned them in the past.

6. brokencycle

brokencycle Stylish Dinosaur Moderator

You can pay out of pocket and reimburse yourself later. You don't have to pay directly from that account.

7. stimulacra

stimulacra Senior Member

Yes, I have an HSA. Might be hard to pull off the first year but I have my total out of pocket max in cash, and the rest invested in a lazy three fund portfolio.

The issue with the either/or approach is you might need liquidity at some point if fully invested, or if it's all in cash, it's just sitting there.

Once you have your annual max out of pocket (or 2X if you want to be conservative) it becomes easier conceptually to treat it like an investment vehicle.

8. jbarwick

That helps. Thanks!

9. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Stylish Dinosaur

My HSA has a requirement where the first 1k is held in cash and everything after that can be invested. Don’t know if that is common or not.

10. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

I would pay Twitter to stop seeing tweets other people I follow "like". I follow a lot of my friends, but the stuff and people they "like" are insufferable.

HSA, I am looking into getting one of those plans next year. I have always had a "Cadillac" plan, but I do like the flexibility of these HSAs. The way I see it is you more or less act as your own insurance company to a degree. I find that more and more these days good doctors aren't taking insurance. I am paying stupid high premiums and using out of network so much (with the stupidly high deductible) upon doing the math it seems like stuffing what would have been my premiums into an HSA and paying from that makes much more sense unless I am missing something completely.

11. jbarwick

Since I knew I was having this procedure I switched to a higher premium cost medical plan with a lower deductible so I should save money overall.

12. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

HSAs are the best tax sheltered savings plan there is, better than anything else. Why? You don't even pay FICA on contributions. Pay your deductibles out of pocket and just invest your HSA.

13. Texasmade

Texasmade Distinguished Member

I have a high deductible plan with an HSA. I think it's a $3000 deductible (I don't really know) so I contribute $3000 every year to my HSA. My company also kicks in $750 a year for Well-Being dollars.

I hardly ever got to the doctor and for me insurance it's just for catastrophic accidents. Everything else I'll just use my HSA or pay out of pocket.

14. esoxm

esoxm Senior Member

Big fan of HSAs - I max it out after I max my 401k match. It’s a no brainer with my options - all the plans including the high premiums have essentially the same out of pocket maximum.

15. gettoasty

gettoasty Stylish Dinosaur

I asked about HSA and was told it’s not worth it if no employer match. Is that true on both accounts?