• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
The guaranteed income funds I have seen pay out principle if the income does not meet the stated threshold.

I'll try and remember tonight to log in and get the symbol for this fund. I was very specific and said there was actually no guarantee and any disbursements would be based on "ability to pay."

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know I get fucked overall due to losing a massive deduction. But that would have just translated into a huge refund.

Remains to be seen if the other issues lead to me owing a bunch at year end.

Probably should have thought about it before year-end. I could have turned the tax-loss harvesting back on in my robo-advisor account. Given the market's turmoil, I am sure they would have been able to make enough sales that I wouldn't be paying any taxes on dividends and realized gains.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Making a big change this year as I will only be putting in the minimum for company match, pocketing the rest to save for a down payment on home. I know my employer is just going to tell me to rethink my approach, take loan from 401(k) instead will be the suggestion. But something about drawing from 401(k) now even if it is a loan I pay back to myself seems wrong. Plus, if I change jobs I am screwed with the outstanding loan tied to me retirement plan. I also claimed '1' last year and changed it to '0' for 2019.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Yeah borrowing out of a 401(k) is generally a terrible idea.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Making a big change this year as I will only be putting in the minimum for company match, pocketing the rest to save for a down payment on home. I know my employer is just going to tell me to rethink my approach, take loan from 401(k) instead will be the suggestion. But something about drawing from 401(k) now even if it is a loan I pay back to myself seems wrong. Plus, if I change jobs I am screwed with the outstanding loan tied to me retirement plan. I also claimed '1' last year and changed it to '0' for 2019.

Why would your employer say anything about your 401k contributions?

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Very opinionated boss. And because that is what he did 30 years ago and it seemed to work out okay...?

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Noice.

C02F1920-15EC-4198-B7F3-7186A9F22D6D.JPG

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My boss has no insight into our 401k, only HR probably. Borrowing from a 401k at a market high and paying it back after it crashes is a good strategy. Haha. Then again cashing in on your 401k is trading one asset for another, it isn't like you are buying shoes with it, also owning property is part of a retirement strategy on my end. That said I cashed in my 401k to buy my place and I don't regret it one bit. Then again I was rather young and there wasn't much in it anyway. I paid it back as swiftly as I could.

Other than for tax purposes why would you keep putting money in an employer sponsored plan past the match? I'd rather have the money in an investment I can liquidate easier if I need the cash rather than having it all tied up.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do you have to declare your 401k loan as a source of cash when you are applying for a mortgage? If you take a lot from it, do you still have to get PMI?

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Tax purposes (well, I guess the ease of putting money away as well) are the only reasons I max my 401k contributions.

Isn’t that the point?

I don’t get the argument against maxing your 401(k), apart from saving toward shorter term goals. Not maxing is essentially a bet that tax rates will be higher in the future, but if you made that bet at almost any point over the past 40 years, you were wrong.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads