Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by mikeman, Feb 2, 2011.

1. melwoesblvd

melwoesblvd Senior member

was thinking about it at 7.79 but was hoping for 7.5 or less. ah well

2. melwoesblvd

melwoesblvd Senior member

uncle sam and the IRS are also saluting you ID

3. stevent

stevent Senior member

That is so low.

Solid. Kinda debating with Apple. Sold when it reached 95, rebought, sold at 180ish, rebought, sold at 250ish, rebought and now looking good. Although if I had kept the initial shares at $5 or whatever it was...

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012

4. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Uncle Sam was out of town. This one was handled by Uncle Ira.

5. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Not touching my stake in AAPL. Actually 1/2 my stack is invested in it. I wont consider changing my stake until I see 550 to 600. They BETTER bring on a fucking dividend too.

6. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

Why do you want a dividend?? You know that's the begining of the end. I'd rather them invest that money back in the company, you know they're going to need it down the road. Also GOOG hits $1000 before AAPL which IMO won't ever.

7. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

No way. They are sitting on 95b in cash and its doing shit. Its been growing for a bunch of years and they have never done shit with it. We own the company, give us back the value.

GOOG has lost the luster. Too many dumb ideas and failed products. The growth story is diminishing. Just in case, keeping some but not going to view it as a growth play.

8. otc

otc Senior member

Yeah...I bought in at 90 or 95 as the first ever individual stock I ever bought (though it was only 5 shares) and lost them when my 220 stop order kicked in during the flash crash. The real price had been something like 270-300 IIRC and at that point I was getting wary--I wasn't going to sell just yet but I wasn't going to buy more either. I couldn't get back in fast enough when the stop order went off and I didn't want to buy back in. I still think that apple is a bit high at their current price and that their best days are probably finished (although if some things that I am very against actually come to pass...apple will be well situated).

Apple's never going to pay a dividend...it's not their style. If they do, it means that they are done.

9. Saltricks

Saltricks Senior member

agree about apple dividends, that would be the signal for me to jump ship.

10. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Jump ship because they are paying a dividend?

11. Saltricks

Saltricks Senior member

Dividends usually signal the end of the rapid growth of a company, which is what I am mostly interested in at this stage of my life.

12. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Its your strategy, its not a signal anything is finished.

Apple is already a mature company. It just happens to be still be able to grow very fast. They are not an acquisition company, they cant possibly invest that much in R & D, so then what? Another stupid share buyback that benefits nobody? You cant sit on cash like that doing nothing. It becomes dead money.

So a dividend is the only reasonable option.

One thing I would suggest is that you think having a yield is going to damage the share price. Many funds can't buy Apple because it doesnt yield. Opening the stock up to that would create a pool of new investors.

Lastly, dividend paying stocks, on the whole, do a lot better over time than stocks which do not.

13. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

MSFT pays a dividend and that stock has been dead money for a while. I was checking out some of the new stuff AAPL was working on for either the new Iphone or the Ipad I forgot, but one of the new things they were interested in doing was adding a retna scan to let you unlock your phone or pad by just looking at it. If that's the next "cutting edge" thing these guys are trying then they are in deep poop.

14. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Like it or not, Apple is going to mature and grow more slowly. Its already the biggest company in the world now. Its not going to just double every 3 years.

MSFT is actually a reasonable comparison. In the stocks late 90's heydays people believed it was going to grow endlessly. It couldn't and neither will Apple. Apple will grow to the point that even massive new products wont move the needle as much.

Actually a retina scan would be badass. Look how compelling Siri was.

Apple needs more home run products to keep growing. How many can they put out? Thats the unknown.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012

15. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

BCOV goes public this morning. Anyone buying?