1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Todd Shelton We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Todd Shelton which focuses on basic pieces customized to fit your body and your tastes.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by mikeman, Feb 2, 2011.

1. brokencycle

brokencycle Stylish Dinosaur Moderator

I know you're being glib, but there is no reason that Activision can't capture the battle royale trend (or why it is necessary to have a growing, profitable business). They didn't really do anything around the MOBA which exploded for a couple of years.

2. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Stylish Dinosaur

3. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

Well except for profit a bunch off the original popular mobas (which required a SC and Warcraft 3 licenses) before eventually releasing their own (HotS)...although that was pre-merger blizzard.

4. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Stylish Dinosaur

My knowledge of the video game market is a bit dated.

5. venividivicibj

[​IMG]

6. jbarwick

jbarwick Distinguished Member

I hate when people draw conclusions from graphs with scale manipulation. Also why the hell would SK be the leader in this? Lastly, I hate EPS as it can be manipulated since it is usually a key item in executive compensation.

7. venividivicibj

Another great graph from BoA

[​IMG]

You can really see the impact of the fall of Rome..

8. brokencycle

Mid-1800s had a nice arbitrage play going for it...

9. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Stylish Dinosaur

recession soon?

10. venividivicibj

As blizzard would say, soon™

11. stimulacra

stimulacra Senior Member

Was out of town last week and just got around to checking my accounts. Very pleasant surprise with Chipotle (CMG) jumping 25%.

12. brokencycle

I'm bearish about Chipotle. I think they're in trouble from Qdoba and Moe's in the long run. Plus people will figure out how tonapto the fast casual model to more cuisines. There is already Naf Naf, and pizza and burger places are immitating the model.

13. jbarwick

jbarwick Distinguished Member

Qdoba and Moe's have been around though. I have seen many Moe's stores shutter and have never seen a Chipotle close. As for Qdoba, I think pressure is there but they have their loyal fans of each.

The concept is everywhere. In Columbus, OH we has a place called Piada which was an Italian like Chipotle and then I have heard of Indian food as well. I think there is just pressure of no innovation from Chipotle mixed with only bad news. Cramer on CNBC says it takes 18 months for people to forget...Chipotle was almost out of the last issue then it happened again. Maybe the Taco Bell CEO helps?

14. brokencycle

Agree they have been around, but Qdoba is under new ownership. The food poisoning issues are probably their biggest problem. I also theink their queso roll out was poor. If you're coming years after the fact to imitate your competition- it shouldn't be substantially worse.

15. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

Place here is doing chipotle-style Bibimbop.

Funny thing is. It went into the exact location that used to be a ShopHouse before Chipotle gave up on that concept and shut down all of the stores.

So there we have Chipotle themselves failing to apply the Chipotle concept to other cuisines....and a smaller upstart is managing to keep the place packed (plus we have a bunch of others...I mean even Naf Naf and Roti are both competing in the Mediterranean space). I always thought the failing of the ShopHouse concept was it strayed a bit too far from Chipotle. At Chipotle, you can do whatever you want. Want half black beans half pinto beans? Fine. Want every topping? Fine. Just want double chicken and cheese? Fine. ShopHouse had a suggested menu, and you could substitute one-for-one but you couldn't just have everything.

This bibimbop place lets you have whatever you want from a relatively similar menu...and it just feels better.