• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

brokencycle

Reaction score
that is unhelpful, would you care to explain what I am missing?

It is an inside joke that anyone posting in this thread for at least 6 months should know. Just like my crack about the value of the economy a few pages ago.

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It is an inside joke that anyone posting in this thread for at least 6 months should know. Just like my crack about the value of the economy a few pages ago.

ahh, thanks. I figured as much

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Health care is mostly provided by not for profit companies. HCA, the largest for profit hospital company, provides roughly 5-7% of the hospital care in the US with the other smaller players scrap for maybe 5% total. That said, there is a lot that can be done in health care. I could list off a ton of things since I have worked in the provider space for the last 6 years. I think @Piobaire works in health care as well though I don't know if it is a provider or not.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
The "averaging down" thing was because I'd bag on people for doing this. My criticism was basically twofold:

First, a tranche doesn't change in its acquisition price. You still paid more money in the past than what you are paying for the stock today meaning your analysis was incorrect.

Second, if your initial analysis was incorrect, what assumptions does your new one have to indicate this stock will rise in price from what you just purchased your newest tranche at?

IDK, no where near an expert, but just seems a flawed concept to me unless you have a really strong piece(s) of information to explain why the initial analysis was wrong but the stock will imminently rebound to prior heights.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
The "averaging down" thing was because I'd bag on people for doing this. My criticism was basically twofold:

First, a tranche doesn't change in its acquisition price. You still paid more money in the past than what you are paying for the stock today meaning your analysis was incorrect.

Second, if your initial analysis was incorrect, what assumptions does your new one have to indicate this stock will rise in price from what you just purchased your newest tranche at?

IDK, no where near an expert, but just seems a flawed concept to me unless you have a really strong piece(s) of information to explain why the initial analysis was wrong but the stock will imminently rebound to prior heights.
Because if you stick with the strategy and bring your average purchase price down sufficiently, upon a modest rebound to somewhere between your initial entry point and your new average acquisition price you can sell your entire position at a "profit" and announce it on the interwebz. It's not about making economically rational decisions looking forward from today, it's about finding ways to validate your past decisions. Duh.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Because if you stick with the strategy and bring your average purchase price down sufficiently, upon a modest rebound to somewhere between your initial entry point and your new average acquisition price you can sell your entire position at a "profit" and announce it on the interwebz. It's not about making economically rational decisions looking forward from today, it's about finding ways to validate your past decisions. Duh.

Plus it makes you sound smart!

stimulacra

Reaction score
Glad I never got into the bitcoin game. At least not yet.

Hopefully all the bitcoin advocates here cashed out in Nov/Dec.

I'm always curious about tax strategies for those that trade short term in crypto. Capital gains and transaction fees must really eat up a lot of the risk premium…

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm always curious about tax strategies for those that trade short term in crypto. Capital gains and transaction fees must really eat up a lot of the risk premium…

They do. If you want to trade in this space now, consider setting up your own C corporation and turn your short-term capital gains (if you have any) into corporate gains at a 21% rate. You pay another 20% or so when you distribute money out of the corporation to yourself but if you don't do that and reinvest in the C corporation, you can defer. There are some rules limiting that but you can generally work around them.

Sold all my LTC between $250 and $200 --- wish I'd sold at $300+ but fine, I'm glad I got out.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Transaction fees are pretty low. Saw a guy send 40mm for 1$ last week. (Obviously if you’re only sending 5$ it doesn’t make sense, but fees are magnitudes less than December.)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads