Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by mikeman, Feb 2, 2011.

1. CYstyle

CYstyle Senior member

I don't think earnings are particularly strong. Was a very low bar for most companies particularly financials in q4, and most only managed to limp over it. Part of the reason for the relative strength in the market is low volume so the movements are more magnified, and there's people who took losses in 2011 then rebuying their positions coming in to 2012. This rally appears to be losing some steam, trading somewhat flat in the last few days.

Better to have a correction soon than for the market to rally another couple months and then have a bigger correction

2. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Judging the bottom on this market is a tough one due to the gravity of the last few years of downturn and the continued global uncertainty.

Its a tough call and everyone is making assessments on when the turning point is and if, as some have suggested, it just happened.

I personally believe it just happened, but I dont think any quick transition into a bull market is in the cards. I think we will see some corrections and bad days but in general I think Dec '11 was the bottom.

3. javyn

javyn Senior member

Never count out Netflix. :)

I knew they'd be alright.

4. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

Me and you brother me and you.

5. CYstyle

CYstyle Senior member

you guys did indeed call a bottom on nflx. nice, up 40%

6. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

fucking corning killed me today.

negated all my apple profits and more.

fuckers can take their gorilla glass and shove it up their asses. bet those motherfuckers will scratch then

7. CYstyle

CYstyle Senior member

Why I like to avoid earnings season =_= i take very very small positions or stay on the sidelines. Can't stand the huge swings either way

8. javyn

javyn Senior member

Well, I'm not speaking as a stock holder, I haven't look at their fundamentals or charts or anything. But I'm a rabid fanboy subscriber who loves the service.

Just noticed last night Nflix has Hardware streaming now, as well as a ton of Herschell Gordon Lewis gore flicks. HELL YES

Who cares about them not getting new shows and movies fast enough? I'd rather watch reruns of Cheers than Dancing With the Stars anyday

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012

9. javyn

javyn Senior member

Anxiously awaiting earnings for GLUU on the 7th. Lots of people are predicting a Zynga buyout....not so sure myself, *if* they get bought out, IMO Activision would be a much better suitor. The games just fit in with ATVI moreso than Zynga. Zynga games are just crap.

10. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

This company Zynga is a joke and a half. Buyout? For what?

11. javyn

javyn Senior member

GLUU has a growing cross-platform audience, and are proving that freemium does in fact work. I think the buyout rumors are just that though, rumors.

12. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

The only company that would reasonably want to do this is Facebook itself. Maybe a post IPO target. They'd be stupid to do it post Zynga's own IPO when Zynga now has a new valuation.

Any competitor to buy Zynga would be stupid as FB is holding all the cards. Think crazy, like GOOG buying Zynga, FB would immediately destroy the relationship, that could happen with anyone, even a natural buyer like another gaming company.

13. javyn

javyn Senior member

I wasn't talking about Zynga being bought out, who would want that crap? I have little faith in the long run they'll be able to wean themselves off FB.

Glu's in the mobile market now like flint.

14. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

My fault, I thought you were talking about ZNGA re: a buyout.

15. javyn

javyn Senior member

Nah, there's tons of spec that Zynga wants to buy GLUU, just a bunch of Seeking Alpha BS if you ask me...even though I'm long GLUU