• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That sums up PF for the most part!

I find newer smart Beta strategies interesting which is why I go down the rabbit hole of quant shop white papers discussing how to compose a fund with both value and momentum factors. I could never implement these on my own as the costs would eat me alive but if I could somehow get access to the ETFs outside of a standard financial adviser I may invest 5-10% of my capital to these strategies.

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Generally you can find cheap S&P and Bond funds at any of the large providers. If you want to get deeper and branch out, I would say Vanguard. They offer a broad array of low cost funds and ETFs but also some more actively managed Smart Beta products. They now offer Momentum, Value, Minimum Volatility, Liquidity, Quality, and a multi-factor product.

State Street offers the Spider products and Blackrock is the largest asset manager so they will also have lower cost products.

I am more for lower cost if you want Beta. No sense in paying over 1% for the S&P which some funds still offer. Active strategies have their place but you have to pay up. Also some of the strategies last a market cycle (10+ years) so it is hard to judge their performance in the short-term but you also have to worry about long-term underperformance if the strategy doesn't work out.

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
FWIW I don't believe active strategies have any place for retail investors. Some passive vanguard funds are able to attain a positive tracking error on their indices with smart management but that's it

for the most part active funds are a loser's game, but I assumed everyone knew that

brokencycle

Reaction score
FWIW I don't believe active strategies have any place for retail investors. Some passive vanguard funds are able to attain a positive tracking error on their indices with smart management but that's it

for the most part active funds are a loser's game, but I assumed everyone knew that

Say that to my triple leveraged SNAP fund.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like that retail investors are advised against active products yet we stick pension funds into these vehicles thinking "outperformance" will solve all of our problems.

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For a third time, I am back on the $SNAP rollercoaster. I bought in near today's lows. It has worked out for me each of the last two times. Ideally I will be out before earnings release in early Feb, with a stop loss at $12 should it crater from here.

Scalped a ~10%ish return in 4 days, not mad.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads