Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by mikeman, Feb 2, 2011.

1. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

If you've been been waiting for a moment to get in Bitcoin, it may be now.

Anyway, Dimon reminds me of when Warren Buffet said the internet was just a fad.

2. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

It's more of a hit from China. No one cared about Dimon. China banning ICOs was big

3. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Yeah but looking deeper at that story, they are not really banning them, they are trying to get control of the fraud happening, and in general get some regulation down on the space.

I'm sure it's stopped a lot of Chinese from trading, but it's not going to be permanent.

4. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Most likely after some big payoffs.

5. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

I was finally able to move our bonds into our Traditional IRAs instead of the Roth IRAs creating a more tax efficient account setup. I swapped out S&P for Bonds and vice versa to make this an asset allocation neutral move. It can sometimes be a bitch working with 6 accounts to balance out allocation strategy.

What ever happened to @Master-Classter ? Did he stop single stock picking? Are his nerves better than fretting over drops in some picks?

6. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

7. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Big yes to the hassle of balancing allocations across multiple accounts and brokerages. Would love to hear suggestions for simplifying that.

I'm not sure I follow the logic behind taking money out of a Roth and moving it to a traditional IRA. Haven't you already paid income tax of the Roth funds, and don't you now need to track that closely so you don't pay tax on those funds again during drawdown?

8. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Can you explain further? I've never had this issue. Trying to understand the frustration.

9. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

I didn't move money from one account to the other, I just rebalanced for tax efficiency. The S&P will likely grow more than the Bond fund so it is better to hide it behind the Roth designation to grow tax free vs. Trad IRA where it will get taxed upon distributions. Also Roths have no RMDs unlike Trad IRAs.

As for rebalancing, I have the spreadsheet below. The current value items all reference the balances among my different accounts that I plug in further down the spreadsheet. This is then compared to my target value allocation which then spits out my funds to transfer. I usually rebalance the whole portfolio once a year, otherwise I add to positions each month with my Roth IRA $ to try and balance out the accounts to my target allocations.

upload_2017-9-15_12-35-47.png

The issue I had was that my target bond allocation was lower than my Trad IRA balances. Once my portfolio was large enough it became an easier task. I understand the frustration with multiple accounts though. Sometimes the money sits in an account with terrible investment options such as an employer 401k. My wife's old company had terrible options and we paid something like 0.4x% for an S&P fund as that was the cheapest fund she had access to! We have 2 401ks, 2 Trad IRAs, and 2 Roth IRAs.