Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by mikeman, Feb 2, 2011.

1. javyn

javyn Senior member

Hopefully it should help keep momentum going, we are looking kinda toppy here

2. dandy1

dandy1 Senior member

Chinese growth in line with estimates 8.7 (if you believe the stats out of Beijing)
    Eurozone downgrades
    Greek talks with bondholders going down the plughole

=

Markets Up

Someone explain what is going on? Why is the market (equities & commodities) rallying near to historic highs?

3. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Chinas could be just as well be 1 as 17%, 8.7 is convienent for them so its 8.7.

I'd suggest markets are up because all this news is no suprise and its priced in. US earnings are expected to be pretty strong minus some banking sector shortfalls.

4. CYstyle

CYstyle Senior member

S&P downgrades didn't mean much. ECB buying euro debt, lowering yields and successful bond auctions by spain italy france germany, inflation also lower than expected. In china growth was better than expected, and people are hoping there'll be better results coming from us earnings.

I'm going to add to my short positions for the short term

5. dandy1

dandy1 Senior member

Yes I think these are fair points, the market seems resilient at the moment. What catalysts do you believe are going to bring the market down in the short term?

Talks between Greece and bondholders are recommencing today which may disintegrate ..leading to potential default / exit by greece of euro ?

Dandy.

6. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

Funny, out of sight out of mind. I remember a few months ago everything was about Greece defaulting "Will they, won't they" then all the stories went away and the media started focusing on other stuff, then we started to rally. The problems never went away but...out of sight out of mind.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012

7. dandy1

dandy1 Senior member

very much so .. i think the markets (and general public) ae bored of the 'will Greece default or not' situation and therefore hearing a repeat of their problems paying back next bond coupon are not inducing fear and selling.

I think to make that happen now we actually need a formal default to happen .. that will make it all hit home again and cause real problems for Institutions holding Greek (and other Euro periphery debt) and Investment Banks who sold CDS.

If this doesnt happen I can see anything else causing the market to sell off on the horizon?

dandy.

btw anyone trade commmodities here ..soft commodities specifically?

8. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

BAC popping pre market as well as MS.

GOOG reports at market close.

9. dandy1

dandy1 Senior member

markets are grinding higher

anyone hearing anything on greece debt talks and how they are going?

10. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

G :fu::fu: gle

All the great gains from the whole week wiped out with their quarterly.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012

11. stevent

stevent Senior member

I'm kind of considering moving from AAPL to GOOG. Thoughts?

12. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

I like the move. GOOG will be okay and as I've said before, AAPL's days of being on the cutting edge of tech are over. They'll make incredible profit for the next 5 years or so, but SJ death was huge. I also like the marketshare that the Droid starting to get.

13. CYstyle

CYstyle Senior member

Yeah I agree appl is done. I think SJ was both great and terrible. He's no doubt a genius, but I think too closed minded. This mobile iOS vs android, is similar to microsoft and apple with pc's, and android's gobbling up the market share. Granted this time around iOS still holds enough market share right now that people still make apps etc

With GOOG, they can ride the mobile advertising wave as that expands but what concerns me about the company is the analyst expectations. I mean you can only achieve stellar growth year over year for a short term. eventually as now, you are just setting it up for failure. While they still have clout in mobile with admob, there's a trillion smaller companies in all different companies competing, so we'll have to see if that starts cutting into their margins.

But I've never really liked investing in the tech companies, and have been overly skeptical :p

14. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Do you write for Seeking Alpha?

15. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

I actually like Spencer Osborne who use to write for SA, I don't write for anybody luckily I'm not that articulate. I will say this, stay away from The Street.com.