• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

NameBack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

phew that short position paid off. I shorted another 2k shares in AH. I was 90% sure the market would be down and jpm would miss earnings, but 10% afraid i'd wake up with huge losses

yeah, I woke up quite happy to be short as well, though a little peeved that my short UPRO position closed out yesterday. I should have set the limit higher.

melwoesblvd

Reaction score
not that anyone cares but a month ago i was down 50% and have come back 30% with BAC alone. bought at 5.03 sold half at 6.53 a few days ago and the rest at 6.77 the other day. saw it touch 7 and was a little peeved but glad to have made some recovery money and see it go below 6.50 today before closing at 6.6 or whatever. i will prob get in again early next week. do you guys think JPM was the strongest of the banks and all the others are obviously doomed to miss earnings and guide downwards or will the opposite be true?

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

not that anyone cares but a month ago i was down 50% and have come back 30% with BAC alone. bought at 5.03 sold half at 6.53 a few days ago and the rest at 6.77 the other day. saw it touch 7 and was a little peeved but glad to have made some recovery money and see it go below 6.50 today before closing at 6.6 or whatever. i will prob get in again early next week. do you guys think JPM was the strongest of the banks and all the others are obviously doomed to miss earnings and guide downwards or will the opposite be true?

Hard to say. WFC has never been big in the Investment banking game, so it's possible WFC may meet/beat earnings. Analysts have revised their earnings downward so it's a pretty low bar. BAC might miss, Merill has been holding up BAC with relatively strong earnings prior, so with this dismal 4th quarter it's hard to imagine BAC beating.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't even think fundamentals matter right now, this market is trading on optimism.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
bets on tomorrow's open: -2%? -1.5?

Last edited:

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
really? interesting. with france getting downgraded i can see the financial stocks getting hammered.

edit: i've had high optimism for 2012.. but if europe spirals out of control :(

Last edited:

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
how can it be priced in? the downgrade happened over the weekend, as far as I'm aware. sure, there was speculation before that, but even the speculation started gaining momentum after the market close on friday.

NameBack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

how can it be priced in? the downgrade happened over the weekend, as far as I'm aware. sure, there was speculation before that, but even the speculation started gaining momentum after the market close on friday.

French finmin confirmed it during trading hours Friday. It pretty much hit on Friday, I'd say.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

really? interesting. with france getting downgraded i can see the financial stocks getting hammered.
edit: i've had high optimism for 2012.. but if europe spirals out of control :(

I think most of the rating agencies lost credibility a long time ago. Nobody cares if you get downgraded any more,

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ate **** on C earnings - what a terd, bought it before the reverse split

ACTC news, wondering if this means anything

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...sf2qAw&usg=AFQjCNFZ735opYwggIQR43FvxHP9tqKRMw

Did a buy write on WY but set the price too low, its already jumped above my 20$ strike and the call has to run until Feb 18. Wondering if I should buy to close the contract and write a new one at a higher strike. Already up 6% on the position in a week and want to protect the profit.

Last edited:

Saltricks

Reaction score

Ate **** on C earnings - what a terd, bought it before the reverse split

ACTC news, wondering if this means anything

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...sf2qAw&usg=AFQjCNFZ735opYwggIQR43FvxHP9tqKRMw

Small news. I've been to Will's Eye Institute before as a stop on a health care sales conference, it is a really legit place. The fact that they would approve stem cell research there is promising, but it's not like ACTC would choose any random clinic to perform their test. Good for a nice boost, but not anything I would call substantial.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads