Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by mikeman, Feb 2, 2011.

1. NameBack

NameBack Senior member

This fuckin' market, man. I love how the budget report comes out, everything takes a dip immediately, and then everyone simultaneously realizes that no one actually cares about the budget report and it reverses. It's crazy how sensitive everyone is to macro news these days.

2. javyn

javyn Senior member

Looks like dilution in the works for ACTC, but that's a given. Personally I'm glad the lawsuits will now be behind us.

3. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

+1. Look, come early next year the science will be validated. I say, R/S to get to the big boards then a steady rise to $20.

4. javyn

javyn Senior member

I'm probably being unrealistic, but if the science works, do we even need a R/S? Shit, when Geron first announced it was getting into the hESC game it rocked from .70 to 20.

5. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

I wrestle with this question. I mean we are a monopoly in a 30 Billion dollar market (US alone). There is talk about a Chinese JV (upwards of 3), but with somewhere just south of 3 Billion shares out I would think you'd have to do a RS

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  6. Saltricks

Saltricks Senior member

What happens to our stock if an RS occurs?

7. otc

otc Senior member

you get less shares worth more money for a net effect of zero.

If you have 10 shares at $1 and they do a 2 for 1 reverse split, you end up 5 shares at $2.

Of course the risk is always that stock just has further to fall after a reverse split. If you do a 30 to 1 to try and get out of penny territory...you might find that it is a lot easier to fall from $3 to $1 than it is for the same stock to fall from $.10 to $.03. The effect is still the same but it seems people are more willing to erode the price by a penny here or there to get off a sale and soon you end up at $1

8. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

Cramer says there's no need to be in NFLX now, So now is the time to buy NFLX.

Edit: With any RS, the first question you ask yourself is "WHY" why are they doing it?? The number 1 reason companies do this is to get BACK into compliance. This is a major red flag.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  9. NameBack

NameBack Senior member

So what do you guys think of the last three days or so? There hasn't really been any substantive news out of Europe either way, but everything is going down the tubes in a highly correlated way, Italian bond yields rising, Euro falling, etc. Have to say I have enjoyed a little Schadenfreude with the huge hit that gold took today.

Beginnings of a crash? I sort of feel that way personally, but I'm pretty bearish in general so I always see a crash right around the corner. The last time I thought things were about to fall of a cliff, they didn't, so I'm curious what everyone else is thinking.

10. CYstyle

CYstyle Senior member

Market shot up last week on hopes that the ECB and EU would get their shit together, and when that sorta kinda happened but didn't it's expected to be pulling back a bit. Volume has been low on these last couple days, Which I think suggests people are looking for direction whether up or down.

I love these generally flat days though. Great for an easy buck day trading. Look at the relatively tight range on BAC for example. traded between 5.22-5.25 for the last half the trade. I'll take 3 cents on 30k shares still nets nearly $900.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  11. javyn

javyn Senior member

IMO metals crashed because traders were expecting a QE3 announcement, that they didn't get.

CYStyle: What technical indicators do you favor when trading these ranges? I'm assuming Bollinger + RSI?

12. Saltricks

Saltricks Senior member

I've done similar with SIRI. If only I had a million dollars to play with, haha.

13. dress4success

dress4success Member

Ed -

You certainly are pretty.

Any who, I have 50% of my 401-K invested in mid cap stocks and 50% invested in bond funds, via Charles Schwab.

I always thought that the best way to invest would be to copy the investments of Berkshire Hathaway, Inc., on a smaller scale, of course.

There probably isn't a more savvy group of investors on the planet.

That being said, even those guys lose sometimes!

Any who, I created my first ever YouTube video to discuss the route to prosperity. The audio is a bit scratchy, annoying in the beginning, but it gets better:

From William Shakespeare:

"There is a tide in the affairs of men.
    Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune;
    Omitted, all the voyage of their life
    Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
    On such a full sea are we now afloat,
    And we must take the current when it serves,
    Or lose our ventures."
    Julius Caesar, IV.iii

"My dear dear lord,
    The purest treasure mortal times afford
    Is spotless reputation—that away,
    Men are but gilded loam, or painted clay."
    Richard II, I.i

Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
    For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
    And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
    This above all: to thine ownself be true,
    And it must follow, as the night the day,
    Thou canst not then be false to any man.
    Hamlet, I.iii

(husbandry in 1600 meant, "the care of a house hold" and today, of course, effectively managing resources)

Best, Steve

14. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

ZNGA tanking as predicted.

15. javyn

javyn Senior member