1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by mikeman, Feb 2, 2011.

1. stimulacra

stimulacra Senior member

[​IMG]

Thoughts on Target (TGT)? It looks like a very attractive entry price. Hoping it dips into below $50 over the next couple of months.

I'm optimistic that their store redesign launch will help re-invigorate the brand and drive foot traffic (again) and that they'll be well positioned to bounce back once retail, as a whole, recovers.

https://corporate.target.com/press/...et-Reveals-Design-Elements-of-Next-Generation

Note: in the absence of sufficient new money, I'll probably sell off MSFT (bought at $56) to initiate the position.

2. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

That reminds me - I hope GreenFrog is doing OK.

3. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

Fair point - I guess I have always used dryer sheets because that's what one does. $20 for three balls of wool seems ridiculous, and I don't like extra scents, so I would definitely not be adding oils.

I'm somewhere in the middle. I can see the value of saving $10 here or there, but the "you only need to save $10/3.2 hours" mentality is crazy. I'm not going to drive across town to save $1/lb on meat because it is a waste of time (plus the gas probably costs me more), but I typically look for what's on sale when planning meals/grocery trips.

4. brokencycle

Depends on how real you think the border tax threat is. If you don't think it will pass, it might be a good buy, but it will be hurt bigly. Target also hasn't been the best at executing lately. They fucked up entering Canada, and they seem pretty middle of the road in the online space.

5. stimulacra

stimulacra Senior member

For me, groceries has always been where Target came up WAY short (the produce section always felt too sterile, selection wasn't great), their new concepts for better integrating natural light in the grocery section looks like a nice shot-in-the-arm. The online pickup also shows promise but yes, very dependent on execution.

I don't think the border tax is practical. Everything from toothpaste to jeans to cars would sky-rocket in price but even then, people still need to buy household goods regardless of the price.

The border tax does bring up an interesting notion of high-inflation. I wasn't around for the double-digit inflation era of the 1970's, (I remember my parent's first mortgage had an interest rate of around 15% APR) and was always curious how that impacted people's investment outlook and philosophy?

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I heard Target sells Uniglo and we know where that's going...

7. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

So our return for Q1 was 4.97%. I have benchmarked this against the S&P and portfolios of 60/40, 75/25, 80/20 stocks/bonds. Under performed against the S&P and 80/20 but beat the other two.

8. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Didn't make a move a couple of weeks ago when I thought I would, but today I put the new money into CMI.

Nice dividend + dividend growth, and a winner in a pro USA political environment.

9. stimulacra

stimulacra Senior member

Haven't received any quarterly statements yet but my YTD is 6.3%.

That's excluding a new HSA and 401k I started this year (the 401k doesn't provide tickers I can track so I've had to use equivalent proxies). The HSA is strictly cash until I hit a minimum balance (The HR rep seemed confused when I asked about investment options within the HSA).

I know long term I am always going to trail the S&P500 in most date ranges so I don't really bother using it as a benchmark. I usually look at 60/40 or any of the variants of lazy portfolios out there.

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Made a major move today with one of my biggest tax advantaged accounts. Moving to a 70/30 equity/bond. Equities will be 60% US index, 25% international developed, 10% emerging markets, and 5% REIT. Bonds will be 33% short term, 33% medium, and 33% a passive fund that uses an algorithm to move between four quadrants of investment grade corporate and medium term sovereign. Biggest move I've made in years.

2 people like this.
  11. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

I need to move into international and emerging markets, currently all US- any fund/etf recs?

12. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

If I think of it tonight I'll log on and give you my fund names.

1 person likes this.
  13. brokencycle

Vanguard has a few. My 401k is through Fidelity, and I have a RERGX which is Europe + Asia. The fund is up 9.4% YTD, so I've obviously been happy with that.

1 person likes this.
  14. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

I use VTIAX for International. I don't have anything in EM but you have to look into what the fund is made up of otherwise EM can look a lot like a standard International ETF/funds. There is a website that lets you see the overlap among ETFs/funds but I can't think of it off the top of my head.

1 person likes this.
  15. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Got my new issue DB shares today. Got them at a 35% discount.

16. stimulacra

stimulacra Senior member

I use VEMAX (Vanguard Emerging Markets Index Admiral) for my emerging market tilt (10%).

VWO would be the equivalent ETF.

I don't pay attention to the performance too much, other than it's usually all over the map performance wise, it's strictly there for diversification and my long term belief in emerging markets.

If a cheaper index fund pops up I'll move it there. ER is 0.14%

1 person likes this.
  17. venividivicibj

FCC to create 'Office of Economics and Data'

Will also be rolling back some TV regulations next month (should allow for more TV/'content creator' mergers)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  18. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I hope that's really the name. It sounds really import.

1 person likes this.
  19. otc

otc Senior member

I'd be interested in how he expects to make that work with a hiring freeze.

As it stands, I'd guess that much of the current in-house economic staff would be at least somewhat opposed to Pai's vision for the FCC.

As to the TV/content creator mergers though, that shouldn't have much impact. That's pretty much all DOJ territory as the content creators rarely own broadcast licenses or anything else that would trigger FCC review. I believe Time Warner (the media arm, not the form ISP arm) owned a TV station but was planning to sell it off in order to avoid any conflicts there.

20. venividivicibj