• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wasn't viewing this as a strategic thing, but thanks for adding some discipline to the thought process.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

My understanding is that it just eliminates an early withdrawal penalty.  Is there any other advantage over 401k?

It's really an apples vs. oranges thing. First, it's another bucket of money you can add to. A 401(k) would never exist along side a 457 but a 403(b) can. So one can max out their 403(b) and max out a 457. That's another 18k under 50 and 24k for 50 and over every year. In my wife's case however she is now in a government pension plan (with contributions split at 5.2% of pay for employee, and then the employer matches at almost 30% or her pay!) that will pay out about 75% of her then current wage at retirement. On top of that we're maxing out her 457, so in 20 years time, just her retirement benefits alone will greatly exceed the vast majority of retirees' incomes. :)

That's not even counting her funds from 20 years in private practice. :slayer:

brokencycle

Reaction score
We don't peg our currency to other currencies while they do.

On the other hand, we are the king of monetary manipulations.

I agree. That's my point. A lot of countries peg their currency to something else, and China pegs it to the dollar, so the only "manipulation" they can do is either change the conversion ratio or as side effect to our own manipulation.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It's really an apples vs. oranges thing. First, it's another bucket of money you can add to. A 401(k) would never exist along side a 457 but a 403(b) can. So one can max out their 403(b) and max out a 457. That's another 18k under 50 and 24k for 50 and over every year. In my wife's case however she is now in a government pension plan (with contributions split at 5.2% of pay for employee, and then the employer matches at almost 30% or her pay!) that will pay out about 75% of her then current wage at retirement. On top of that we're maxing out her 457, so in 20 years time, just her retirement benefits alone will greatly exceed the vast majority of retirees' incomes. :)

That's not even counting her funds from 20 years in private practice. :slayer:

What happens if she doesn't stay there for 20 years?

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree. That's my point. A lot of countries peg their currency to something else, and China pegs it to the dollar, so the only "manipulation" they can do is either change the conversion ratio or as side effect to our own manipulation.

They been trying to change that for sometime now, with being added to the reserve currency at IMF and signing trade deals with countries around its borders to settle trades in RMB instead of USD. Despite that, our petro-dollar still reign supreme!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

What happens if she doesn't stay there for 20 years?

Something better I would hope!

A government 457 can get rolled out into a rollover IRA. Her pension fully vests in just five years (what a scam!) but she would not get a full pension but rather something prorated.

dizzy

Reaction score
Waiting for China's GDP figures to come in over the weekend. If they're bad, gonna cash out my UVXY shares and find some bargains.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone deploying any cash today?

Deployed $100 with my CPA application so I should get my certification in the mail in a few weeks. Also today is usually when my 401k money is deployed but it is not much in the grand scheme of things.

Also the market takes Monday off for MLK day.

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not deploying anything new, but my WiseBanyan account earned 6 free months of their Tax Loss Harvesting service. Turned that **** on the other day.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just loaded up on PG for all the lube I'll be needing for mr. market's penetration.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mfw when I tally up all the losses I've incurred over the past 6 weeks

1f605.png

OmniscientCause

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Disney is getting hammered for taking on esports lol. I need to see some of this coverage.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads