1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by mikeman, Feb 2, 2011.

1. otc

otc Senior member

One further possibility--I believe some employer 401ks accept rollovers from an IRA.

If you could do that, you could regain access to the backdoor. Move your IRA into your 401k (assuming it has good fund options), and then you should be free to start going back to the Roth (might have to wait until the next tax year though).

1 person likes this.
  2. otc

otc Senior member

Can't identify contextual hints, clearly.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  3. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

Damn. I need to check that out. I rolled over my old 401k from a previous employer.

4. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Well then I guess I can't. Carry on.

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Seems a rollover IRA is exempt from the calculation and it specifically targets only Trad IRAs that you contributed to prior to reaching the income phase out for the tax deduction. So even if all you have is 200k you end up with:

5.5/200 = 2.75%

2.75% x $5500 = $151

So $151 of that back door ROTH doesn't get taxed and you have to add the remainder onto this year's taxes. So you contribute with post tax dollars, convert, and then pay tax again on 97.25% of the conversion! No thanks.

6. otc

otc Senior member

Rollovers don't count? That's neat.

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Pretty sure but consult your tax adviser. ;)

I'll still stop by and see my guy over the summer to make sure I've got this all correct. That IRS form I linked to though, if you just read through the first 10 entries, pretty much confirms my math above is correct.

8. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

Everything I've seen indicates that rollover 401(k)s count just the same as pre-tax contributions to trad IRAs.

Piob - are you perhaps thinking of the fact that rollovers don't impact your contribution limits but I am not aware of anything that would segregate portion of your trad IRA that came from direct contributions vs 401(k) rollover. I would definitely check that one more closely with tax advisor.

I wish that you were correct however as the only thing keeping me from rolling a couple of legacy 401(k)s is losing the ability to tax efficiently do a roth conversion annually.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  9. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Yeah, it's esoteric enough I think an official ruling is needed here. I'm pretty sure though I'm going to find out my previous research answer, that's it's not worth it for me, is going to roll up again. Thank god Mrs. Piob took that government job with not only a DB pension but also a 457 with some nice, low cost index funds.

1 person likes this.
  10. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

Make sure you ask about the rollover explicitly you know for the other 1% of us who can't afford a good CPA. ;)

1 person likes this.
  11. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

So WTF just happened? My entire ticker was green and suddenly it's red.

12. otc

otc Senior member

I started working on my taxes. Fear about how the government is going to pay my YUGE refund is having a temporary effect on the market.

2 people like this.
  13. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Fucking market. Sea of red.

14. stimulacra

stimulacra Senior member

From glancing at headlines the failure to repeal the ACA might jeopardize Trump's proposed tax cuts (which gave U.S. equities a big boost).

Anyone here have a position in CMG? They're doing pretty good today.

15. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

The decline in the stock market is fake news. Until trump tells me it's bad I won't believe it.

1 person likes this.
  16. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

17. stimulacra

stimulacra Senior member

I was set to hit another medium-sized milestone this week but oh well… hopefully just a speed bump.

Top Republicans Say Historic Tax Cuts Ride on Health Bill Outcome
    https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/...would-endanger-tax-cut-goals-some-in-gop-warn

“As a health-care replacement bill backed by House Speaker Paul Ryan struggles to gain support from House conservatives and Senate Republicans, some GOP lawmakers argue that a once-in-a-generation opportunity to overhaul the U.S. tax code with stout cuts in tax rates for businesses and individuals depends on the outcome. U.S. stocks have rallied since Trump’s election, with the Standard & Poor’s 500 Index reaching a record high earlier this month, buoyed in part by the expectation of corporate tax cuts. The index had declined Tuesday by almost 1 percent to 2,352.52 at 1:15 p.m. in New York.

“If we are not able to move forward with health-care reform, it endangers tax reform,” Representative Bill Flores of Texas, a former chairman of a House conservative caucus, said in an interview Friday. “The folks that were able to tear this down would feel like they’re empowered to tear the next big project down.”

18. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

That S&P streak of days without a -1% swing is in danger.

1 person likes this.
  19. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Need a good down-to-earth moment every once in a while

20. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I dont.... let this ponzi scheme go to dow 100,000 and I get out a day before the reckoning. I have a lot of biotech dogs to claw back.