• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I understand their position and I suppose it makes sense for them, they consider market share more valuable than near term profit. However I think what really happens is that the small producers are gobbled up by the large ones then when they back off of their policy they will be right back where they started in terms of market share.

The real losers are likely to be the small members of opec, IMO.

Last edited:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man I'm glad my work made me sell KMI and a few other E&P MLP stocks back in January. I've spent the past 2 years trying to diversify away from oil so at least my portfolio and my job won't both tank at the same time.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I understand their position and I suppose it makes sense for them, they consider market share more valuable than near term profit. However I think what really happens is that the small producers are gobbled up by the large ones then when they back off of their policy they will be right back where they started in terms of market share.

The real losers are likely to be the small members of opec, IMO.

Not opinion, fact.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
wow, oil... damn.

I've been buying up more CNX, CPG, and CHK just to try and lower my average costs.

Just reopened a position on RDS (.B) and briefly held GLF but sold it and made a few percent today.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
as in SUNE they'll go bankrupt?

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Dow DuPont merger! I never would've guessed these 2 would merge.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
it's touted also a merger of equals, so shareholders of both will not be obliged to pay a premium ... consolidating assets and liabilities to control the market, collusion to create a cartel ??
and won't they deal with eventual environmental/safety law suites coming in the future

Last edited:

MSchapiro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it's touted also a merger of equals, so shareholders of both will not be obliged to pay a premium ... consolidating assets and liabilities to control the market, collusion to create a cartel ??
and won't they deal with eventual environmental/safety law suites coming in the future
It seems like the plan is break up the combined company at some point in the future.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

I'm not sure what you're really asking with respect to environmental/safety lawsuits. I'm sure both companies face such suits on a regular basis, given the nature of their operations. Those are potential liabilities that come with the territory and presumably show up on their books as liabilities, reserves, etc. (I'm not an accounting guy, so I'm using those terms loosely.) But I'm not sure how the proposed merger really effects this one way or the other. Does the eventual combined company now have twice as much litigation exposure (assuming for ease of discussion that each of the pre-merger companies has an equal amount)? Sure, but (similar assumptions for illustrative purposes) that's balanced against twice the assets as well.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It seems like the plan is break up the combined company at some point in the future. ​

Plan is to merge and then breakup into 3 separate companies. I haven't read how the division would take place yet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads