1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by mikeman, Feb 2, 2011.

1. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Does Twitter have its own set of emojis or are they whatever the phone operating system has? I can only find gifs, not emojis though I don't actively tweet unless some airline messes something up.

2. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Maybe they were just worried about him getting assassinated like almost happened to the Zuckerberg character in the crappy Jason Bourne movie I watched on a plane yesterday.

1 person likes this.
  3. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

4. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

3 people like this.
  5. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Maybe thats why the shares aren't down?

6. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Or maybe the employees of WF brokerage are mass buying WFC shares in customer accounts to prop up the price.

7. MSchapiro

MSchapiro Senior member

Or because rising rates greatly benefit banks, while the number of checking accounts open does not? :)

I am tempted to buy some for my parents portfolio.

8. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I wouldnt, I think a bad quarter or two is coming, you can get it lower

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Still well past my EOY goals even with the rate hike. Just the contributions we still have left to make on our final pay periods for the year should make for a nice number come Jan 1.

2 people like this.
  10. stimulacra

stimulacra Senior member

Chuckle of the day.

Young Americans Piled Into Some Horrendous ETF Trades Right After the Election
    http://bloom.bg/2h2t4GK

2 people like this.
  11. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

My gut feeling right now is we're pushing the limits here on the market optimism... This thing could break through and keep going higher but I have a bad feeling we're near the top here. I'm perfectly willing (as always) to miss out on some upside for the sake of safety. I'm currently around 30% cash I'd say and most of my sell orders are set for about 4-5% higher while my buy orders are set 10-15% lower. I've tried to be conservative, and who knows what will happen with Trump, but I'm just sharing my feelings here... I've only been in this game 2-3 years and am still working my way back to breakeven, so there's my record for you, but as I scan my 15 or so stocks, I've noticed we're very close to my sell point on most of them and that tells me things are pushing the limits on where I think the top is. Unless there is some sort of big catalyst, my prediction is there's start to be a fairly big selloff within the first half of the year and maybe some evening out in the second half. I'm still long with guys like AAPL, DIS, etc, the blue chips, but will likely sell most of my holdings by the end of the year to the first quarter of next year and get back to heavy cash or switch to general indexes. Just waiting on some oil/solar recovery and I'm good all 'round.

12. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

GreenFrog, you in on this?

13. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Wouldn't all these all time highs be pushing the limits of the market by definition?

14. Master-Classter

not necessarily. I meant that at least in the sectors and stocks I'm following, I'm feeling like they're reaching the upper limits and I'm taking that as a sign of the market in general. There's sector rotation, so one of you could have pointed to other whole industries that are down, or some impending catalyst unbeknownst to me that would push this further. All I'm sharing is that I'm already in cash and only about 5% away from selling off a lot of my holdings and waiting this out. I'm ok with missing some upside potential and will wait to get back in at lower prices. Go a few I'm still fairly down on like GILD and some solar (FSLR and SPI) and oil/gas (GLF) and randoms like HIMX and SWHC etc but have held them long enough. If they go down I'll ride it out. The rest of 'em I'm ready to trim or sell.

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

So basically the market is either going to go up or it's going to go down? I think this is a pretty strong call.

16. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

These calls are best left to @lawyerdad .

1 person likes this.
  17. Master-Classter

Lol. I'll simplify then. I'm saying that based on the stuff I own and am following I'm feeling like things are pretty high and I'm getting ready to pull out. Unless there's some big thing coming that I don't know about and you guys do, I think we'll see some strong pull back within a few months, like early next year.

1 person likes this.
  18. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

Trader's intuition must be pretty good to make such a call.

19. MSchapiro

MSchapiro Senior member

I follow you.

I've started reducing my general market exposure.

Now I am holding mREITs ( I think the fed will pull off the gas a bit and the steep yield curve will remain, but some of the book value damage will be returned), oil and gas and industrials.

I've sold off half my industrial positions, up about 20%. I've sold off most of my GM, up about 25% including dividends. I've sold off STAG, an industrial REIT.

On the oil front I am holding, I sold out of GLF a while ago for HOS, which turned out to be the right move.

20. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I'm trimming today as well, mainly a couple of ETFs that have climbed back to 0.

I'm trying to understand your view on mortage reits, how will they not get trounced with rate increases? Is your view that the fed wont raise again when they expect to?