• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

MSchapiro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Corp dev?
Haha, have to prefer Bloomberg or suddenly I'm not legit?
Edit: Realized I missed part of what you are saying. I work in M&A.

Bloomberg terminal is excellent at what it does, but it is very rigid and geared towards people in specific roles. Eikon 1-3 were pretty awful, but 4 is very stable and customizeable. For my personal investing you really can't beat being able to screen by thousands of metrics and totally customize your pages.

For instance I have a list of mREITs by different types and can see their discount to book in near real time. If one crazily falls out (as ORC did when it had a large premium then a large discount) I know to take a closer look.

I very rarely use my terminal for work.

Yea I've used solver and goal seek for some models but not to the extent that bankers probably do.

Generally the biggest value I get from a DCF is a sensitivity table. I want to know how bad certain factors can get before the investing is no longer good. Having easy access to those numbers has let me bail on one or two unlucky calls with very minor losses.

Last edited:

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So how is everybody doing in their 401k's year-to-date? I'm up 5.53%.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Straight 401k for me is 3.62%. Composite for the year we are pretty much flat from my IRR calculation.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Our old friend Ocata, formerly ACTC, is getting bought out by Astellas Pharma Inc.

I still think their research has a chance to go somewhere...but apparently so does this other company, so they will get to reap the benefits.

I'll be exiting at or around the merger price, which translates into only a 3.4% return.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Our old friend Ocata, formerly ACTC, is getting bought out by Astellas Pharma Inc.

I still think their research has a chance to go somewhere...but apparently so does this other company, so they will get to reap the benefits.

I'll be exiting at or around the merger price, which translates into only a 3.4% return.

Acquisition price is 8.5 and stock trading at 8.48. Not much meat left for merg arb. Unless someone is keen to lever it up 10x with small amount of money.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last few days it has actually been trading just above 8.5. So very little arbitration left unless you expect someone is going to come in with a higher bid or you are keen on a shareholder lawsuit accusing the board of accepting a low offer.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
SCTY seems to be recovering nicely. Damn, I was holding a lot with average cost around 31 and sold it all off now around 34, itching to take some gains, now it goes to 37 today already. Bulls bears and pigs I suppose.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics