• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

OmniscientCause

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry I meant more then through beta or a forward beta...I meant you can't model it in to make it go away if that makes any sense. I'm not really looking at anything that has an outrageous beta

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't do any DCF analysis. I just buy stocks that I think will go up.

:slayer: :slayer: :slayer: :slayer: :slayer: :slayer: :slayer: :slayer:

Last edited:

MSchapiro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No one here is discounting cash flows to figure out investments. Some have a fun money account which they post their trades from and others just put what their over arching investment philosophy is.
Not true, depends on the investment but I always do either a rough DCF or a full one. Of course your expectations then play a huge role in the investment. I like trying to find undervalued companies based on their earnings or assets, but a DCF only tells you so much. For example take oil, my DCF's said Tidewater (TDW) is undervalued at any price below ~$30. It is currently trading now for $9. My "high" valuation is predicated on the OSV market recovering by 2018 to TDW's historical levels (although below what their most recent levels would have been if you strip out their completed fleet update capital spending).

Also my terminal can run a rough DCF for me basically automatically. I really like the Implied EPS growth feature, which I can then compare to what Analysts are predicting the growth will be over the next few years. If analysts are saying the company will grow 5% and Implied EPS is negative I do further research.

OC what school do you go to? I know Boston University's finance club did something similar.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have very limited access to our Bloomberg terminal. It'd be interesting to play around with.

MSchapiro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also my current market opinions:

Oil and gas: Gloom has finally set in. I like some of the service providers like TDW. Dislike GLF because they haven't been able to maintain their revenue and profits the way TDW has. This is really a game of picking survivors.

Long CHK which I'm not too happy about at my entry point, but at the current price it looks okay. Pref shares may be a better bet.

REITs: I really like mREITs right now. Rate raise is going to make them more profitable and the loss in book values is more than priced in IMO. AGNC, DX and CYS are my current new positions, but I hold a lot in NLY too.

Global equities: Investing in select EMs and a bit of Europe due to strength of the dollar. Occasional individual stocks like CIB.

Healthcare: Sector is no longer grossly overvalued, but significant doubt about the long term regulatory model remains. Long VRX (obviously).

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Also my current market opinions:

Oil and gas: Gloom has finally set in. I like some of the service providers like TDW. Dislike GLF because they haven't been able to maintain their revenue and profits the way TDW has. This is really a game of picking survivors.

Long CHK which I'm not too happy about at my entry point, but at the current price it looks okay. Pref shares may be a better bet.

REITs: I really like mREITs right now. Rate raise is going to make them more profitable and the loss in book values is more than priced in IMO. AGNC, DX and CYS are my current new positions, but I hold a lot in NLY too.

Global equities: Investing in select EMs and a bit of Europe due to strength of the dollar. Occasional individual stocks like CIB. 

Healthcare: Sector is no longer grossly overvalued, but significant doubt about the long term regulatory model remains. Long VRX (obviously). 

mREITs thrive when rates are low because they make their money on the interest spread. I'd be bearish on mREITs now that their borrowing costs will be higher.

MSchapiro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mREITs thrive when rates are low because they make their money on the interest spread. I'd be bearish on mREITs now that their borrowing costs will be higher.
Last time I checked the spreads were widening. Doesn't matter what their borrowing costs are as long as they can lend them out at a higher rate which is what the widening spread indicates. The only worry I have now is how book value will act when rates go up and if it will surpass the roughly 20% discount built into most names right now. I guess pre-payments worry me a bit too.

OmniscientCause

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not true, depends on the investment but I always do either a rough DCF or a full one. Of course your expectations then play a huge role in the investment. I like trying to find undervalued companies based on their earnings or assets, but a DCF only tells you so much. For example take oil, my DCF's said Tidewater (TDW) is undervalued at any price below ~$30. It is currently trading now for $9. My "high" valuation is predicated on the OSV market recovering by 2018 to TDW's historical levels (although below what their most recent levels would have been if you strip out their completed fleet update capital spending). 

Also my terminal can run a rough DCF for me basically automatically. I really like the Implied EPS growth feature, which I can then compare to what Analysts are predicting the growth will be over the next few years. If analysts are saying the company will grow 5% and Implied EPS is negative I do further research. 

OC what school do you go to? I know Boston University's finance club did something similar. 

I actually live in DC. I go to smith at Umd. I wanted to go to bu when they had the mims program but unfortunately they did away with that.

Gf my buddy did a dcf on chipotle last spring and its dipped below his price target I can try to get a hold of it and send you it if you want.

MSchapiro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually live in DC. I go to smith at Umd. I wanted to go to bu when they had the mims program but unfortunately they did away with that.

Gf my buddy did a dcf on chipotle last spring and its dipped below his price target I can try to get a hold of it and send you it if you want.
I did a DCF on Chipotle like 4 or 5 years ago and thought it was seriously undervalued. Had no cash at the time. Real shame because it turns out I was right.

Problem with CMG in my opinion is that the current valuation doesn't leave a huge margin for error. It's kind of how I feel with most stocks at their current price these days.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DCF is a good sanity check provided that the model has at least a few variation tables with different variables such as top like top line growth, margin expansion, decay, etc. Monte Carlo simplified.

But you gotta be kidding yourself that DCF is going yield a good value; most sell side does DCF with goal seeking, aka analyst told associate the PT, associate goal seek solving.

Nobody in their right mind models business cycles or economic cycles into DCF thus the valuation is usually overstated.

OmniscientCause

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea I've used solver and goal seek for some models but not to the extent that bankers probably do.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads