1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by mikeman, Feb 2, 2011.

1. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

He put out something regarding healthcare, basically opening competition across state lines and dismantling obamacare. While in principle single payer can work, it was so weakly constructed and had no teeth whatsoever, it was never ever going to work.

Trump is right about the ability for insurers to sell coverage across state lines, this was always a stupid rule.

2. stimulacra

stimulacra Senior member

I'm very curious what they have in mind regarding HSAs, that's been one tax-advantaged option I have not been able to utilize.

3. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

You better use it for open enrollment

My guess is they want tax deferred money to pay for healthcare, similar to what Mcain proposed.

4. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Re why tech stocks are down... I told you guys that the banning of Milo from TWTR was indicative. When you look at the "shock" that came with the result, you need only ask yourself where much of this information now emanates from, and that's silicon valley.

Will Trump’s Victory Be Silicon Valley’s Wake-Up Call?

It’s long past time for tech companies to acknowledge that wielding enormous publishing power requires taking editorial responsibility.

http://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...s-the-president-and-youre-a-publisher/507278/

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  5. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

Have any of you switched from doing your own taxes to hiring a tax accountant? Did it make a difference? I'm contemplating using a firm this year, but my taxes are pretty simple - basically just charitable deductions and mortgage.

6. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

I see it as insurance. For instance, a few weeks back the IRS sent a letter saying we owed like $2,500. I called my account and they figured out the IRS missed something when we bought/sold houses 2 years ago. I worked in public accounting and have a CPA but peace of mind for $200 is ok by me.

2 people like this.
  7. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

In your situation, it's a waste of money.

8. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

This. Unless you have K-1's and multiple state returns to complicate your return, there's really no need.

9. brokencycle

10. otc

otc Senior member

I've never been too impressed with that rule. On one hand it is silly (but a bunch of people would probably have cried "states rights" back when the republicans still cared about that).

But on the other hand, it isn't actually that hard to sell insurance in a new state as an established insurer. You might have to build a network (but you'd have to do that as a newcomer anyways, and can use a rental network until you are sufficiently built up).
    But getting legal permission? Not that hard. Many states will just accept that you are already a big insurer doing business elsewhere and allow you in. And even those that don't...the capital requirements and stuff like that are not onerous for an established firm. Heck, you don't even need to be established...there were plenty of firms that popped up on the state exchanges (and subsequently went bankrupt...but that just shows how easy it is to get licensed).

11. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

All that stuff comes with overhead, and contributes to overall cost. Also, every state has a litany of different reporting requirements and regulatory differences. You might have the infrastructure as an insurer to deliver the product, but these differences all come with a price tag. I've worked in medical software, and the amount time spent on refining software for each state's requirements is mind boggling. And I don't mean big stuff, I mean stuff like a patient's state written out as ARKANSAS, while another wants it as NV, and another wants it as a numerical state code like 31. It's endless.

People love to shit on insurance companies, but the medical system is overburdened with legal costs. As a society, we have created WAY too many lawyers all looking for something to do. DC has more lawyers per capita than anywhere in the world. My neighborhood is like a fucking bar assn convention and every house sold almost guarantees the new family is another one. I wonder if anyone has ever done a phd thesis on what the cost of lawyers to society is? I bet the number is 25% of GDP.

12. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Moved to a CPA several years ago and have never questioned that choice. I was missing some stupid simple deductions and the very first year I got back a few thousand more than I thought I would. Then my situation started getting more complicated, including a K-1 each for me and Mrs. Piob, a couple pieces of property (which are thankfully both gone!), etc. Also, under Obama, it was announced audits would target high income earners, as obviously you go where you can reap the most money. While I kept my taxes conservative at every choice I slept better knowing if I got the red flag I'd have a pro that knew all my tax history for the last decade.

2 people like this.
  13. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Added to my REIT position this morning as it has been beaten down the last couple of days while the rest of the market gained.

Not necessarily helping on the CPA decision but we are almost to the point where the Standard Deduction is better than itemizing. While our county taxes are high, knowing you are not paying enough in mortgage interest to make itemizing worth it is nice.

14. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

^ if you don't mind me asking, which REITS are you in and any others you're eyeing?

15. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I've been in O for several years. Beautifully predictable dividend.

1 person likes this.
  16. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

17. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  18. MSchapiro

MSchapiro Senior member

I just got back into some O on the recent drop. Simple stock with a simple business model. Highly priced at the moment, so tranching in for the parents portfolio.

19. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Anyone buying any alcohol stocks on the thesis that this election will cause increased drinking, both on the celebratory and melancholic sides?

20. brokencycle

STZ would be the one to buy then. They're down 10% since the election.